CPU Temps too high!

Associate
Hey guys,

I was hoping that you could help me identify what the potential issue is with my CPU temperatures. I've always ran my CPU at stock speeds with a stock cooler, but since I decided to upgrade my graphics card from a 560TI to a 880GTX. I figured now was a good time to overclock my CPU so that there wouldn't be any bottlenecking and the performance gain would be maximized.

Anyway, I downloaded a few key programs to assist with overclocking and monitoring temperatures. What I found was that running PRIME95 displayed per-core temperatures of close to 95c after running for as little as 2minutes, and after up to 10 minutes there was no sign of cooling down or settling off. So my first course of action was to before I installed my new GFX card, I would clean it all out (though it wasn't very dirty). The Stock cooler has collected a decent amount of dust on the fans, but I cleaned it fully with compressed air and then reseated the cooler using Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. I have ensured the BIOS settings are the "Optimized Defaults" as stated by my motherboard. Unfortunately, it's still running just as hot in the 90c at 3.3Ghz. The CPU is several years old now as is the cooler. I'm tempted to try an after market cooler - but it would be nice to have some sort of idea that this would help.

Associate
if you're using the stock intel heatsink, then you should expect high temps when overclocking. I would consider an aftermarket heatsink. Pretty much anything will be better than intels stock heatsink.

As Logue said, If this is an Intel CPU and stock cooler then yes, its gunna be hitting those temps.. Pick up something else for £20-30 and yourll probably see a decent improvement of more than 10c.

Also, airflow in your case is key.. its all very well have a heatsink moving the hot air away from the CPU but if your case isn't then getting rid of that hot air then its going to be like an oven in there.

Associate
OP
Soldato
As above, an aftermarket cooler will be the way forwards. £30 will net you a cooler that will get you to 4.2-4.5GHz depending on how good your chip is.

Associate
OP
What cooler would you guys recommend? My friend had a monstrous after market cooler, a coolermaster... but it was just way to clunky and big to fit in either his or my motherboard/case. So preferably something a similar diameter to the stock cooler. Height isn't as much of an issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess I will open it up again once I get home and ensure all the pegs are properly down. Thanks :)

Welcome. It would be best to double check these things and at least get it back to normal before buying anything. Then you know nothing is wrong before you add something new to the mix!

All good practice anyways :)

(never overclock on stock cpu heatsinks btw)

(but I think you gathered that already)

;)

Back
Top Bottom