Cpu Throttle.

Soldato
Hey guys,

A bit baffled here, It would appear than in AIda64 Stress test its reporting that my 11700K is throttling at 4.6Ghz,On the actual CPU Package.

Unsure why as i have a very good case (Corsair 4000D) With 3x Noctuas in the front for intake, And for my CPU cooler a very beefy Noctua NH-D14,Also a rear 120mm Noctua for exhaust.

WLoUOxT.png

What you guys think is going on?

Man of Honour
What kind of workload are you running when it throttles? What is the power draw at 100% load?

Are you running an overclock, MCE, or anything like that?

Soldato
OP
What kind of workload are you running when it throttles? What is the power draw at 100% load?

Are you running an overclock, MCE, or anything like that?
Hi pal,

Literally just that Aida 64 Stability Stress test, Of course there's apps running in the back like Steam,Discord,Epic games launcher etc but pretty sure these are not really doing much.

Reason i wanted to try the stability test is because earlier while playing Warzone the game just froze, I tried to Alt + Tab back into desktop and it wouldn't switch i had to log off then back on again.
Now I'm unsure if this was anything related to my system OR if it was just a issue with the game like a bug with all the recent updates etc.

As for power draw at 100%,Im unsure how do i tell? Isn't that it showing on the screenshot 1.345v ?

No overclocks whatsoever done by me, I wouldn't even know where to start so I've always kept my systems at stock. :)

Man of Honour
Does it not show you the power draw if you just scroll down in the sensors tab?

I don't know what the AIDA 64 stress test uses, so it's hard to say if it is putting an abnormal load on the CPU.

I'd monitor the temps while you're actually playing warzone. If you were able to log off, then I assume the system was still responsive, at least to some degree?

Associate
It is right there in RED. You hit the thermal limit for the cpu so it limits the clocks to not go past that temp.

You can reseat and repaste the Noctua but that may be what your chips is capable of. If you want to improve performance the best way is to go for an undervolt, using less V at a given Mhz will lead to less power used so less heat generated and the chip will hold higher frequencies for longer which will lead to better performance.

The best way to test your cpu is to use Blender R23. Run it on a continuous loop and see whether you are getting scores close to the expected for your system.

The bottom line is that 11th gen Intel chips were very power hungry for the performance they delivered and this was why Ryzen was a better choice in most scenarios.

Soldato
OP
Does it not show you the power draw if you just scroll down in the sensors tab?

I don't know what the AIDA 64 stress test uses, so it's hard to say if it is putting an abnormal load on the CPU.

I'd monitor the temps while you're actually playing warzone. If you were able to log off, then I assume the system was still responsive, at least to some degree?
It probably does, I have to pop out to work in a bit (Night shift) but tomorrow il see if i can get some more software up to monitor and log temps, frequency's and voltage/power draw while playing Warzone and see what it saying.

Recommend any software that is an all in one kinda thing for this? :)

It is right there in RED. You hit the thermal limit for the cpu so it limits the clocks to not go past that temp.

You can reseat and repaste the Noctua but that may be what your chips is capable of. If you want to improve performance the best way is to go for an undervolt, using less V at a given Mhz will lead to less power used so less heat generated and the chip will hold higher frequencies for longer which will lead to better performance.

The best way to test your cpu is to use Blender R23. Run it on a continuous loop and see whether you are getting scores close to the expected for your system.

The bottom line is that 11th gen Intel chips were very power hungry for the performance they delivered and this was why Ryzen was a better choice in most scenarios.
Hi Haz,

Yeah that's the thing though, Should i really be hitting those temps on the case, airflow and beefy cooler i have :)
The idea of undervolting has always interested me, Same with an undervolt on the GPU too but id have to do a lot more research on that.

Il try R32 also see what that scores my system at.

Man of Honour
It probably does, I have to pop out to work in a bit (Night shift) but tomorrow il see if i can get some more software up to monitor and log temps, frequency's and voltage/power draw while playing Warzone and see what it saying.

Recommend any software that is an all in one kinda thing for this? :)

Keep in mind that these things can push up to 200 watts at stock on multi-threaded load and north of 300 watts with MCE, overclocked, or power unlimited, which is why it is best to test under realistic workloads, because stress tests can push them far more than games ever will.

I think the software you're using is fine for what you need here.

Soldato
OP
Okay from what i can see from CPUID Hardware monitor while playing a round of Warzone

Max CPU frequency it hit while playing was -
  • Core 0 - 4901 Ghz
  • Core 1 - 4901 Ghz
  • Core 2 - 5000 Ghz
  • Core 3 - 5000 Ghz
  • Core 4 - 4901 Ghz
  • Core 5 - 4901 Ghz
  • Core 6 - 4901 Ghz
  • Core 7 - 4901 Ghz
Max Voltage at those frequency's was 1.365v
Highest Core temp was 65C,The rest averaged between 57,60,63 or there abouts.

I'm guessing it was just Aida 64 Putting an abnormal load on the CPU, And nothing to do with my CPU throttling during gaming, Neither did warzone crash this time,Although there was an update when i launched the game so maybe that was a potential crash/bug fix that they may have introduced with the new season, Who knows. :confused:

Man of Honour
I'm guessing it was just Aida 64 Putting an abnormal load on the CPU, And nothing to do with my CPU throttling during gaming, Neither did warzone crash this time,Although there was an update when i launched the game so maybe that was a potential crash/bug fix that they may have introduced with the new season, Who knows. :confused:

That would be my theory as well (a software problem), especially if the system didn't hard lock and you were able to log out.

Back
Top Bottom