• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cpu upgrade help

Associate
Currently rocking i7 4790k overclocked with 16gb ddr3 and rtx 3080.
saw the recommended specs for elden ring and my cpu now is quite out of date. will this be a major issue? if so with max £650 to upgrade.
got the rtx 3080 around cyperpunk release and havent had any issues but i might be loosing out on more than im aware.

regards

Soldato
saw the recommended specs for elden ring and my cpu now is quite out of date. will this be a major issue? if so with max £650 to upgrade.
got the rtx 3080 around cyperpunk release and havent had any issues but i might be loosing out on more than im aware.

regards

Best wait it out now, especially with the new stuff around the corner, which should be coming around June, AM5/ New Intel stuff.

Associate
Same boat here. I'm sitting tight for the next round of CPU releases before committing, but then I don't plan on playing Elden Ring yet as I have a few other games to catch up on. Anything upwards from an i3-10100 wipes the floor with our CPU so pretty much everything is an upgrade.

A couple of examples if you were to buy now:

Route 1 is an i5-12400 on a DDR4 mobo which appears to be a great 'budget' buy and will be a significant step up, with budget left over allowing you to bump up the ladder again in the next generation or two. An i5-12600 or Ryzen 5600X are also great alternatives with a little more in the tank.

Route 2 is maxing out your current budget and going with a i7-12700k and DDR5 system. The Ryzen 5800X3D may also turn out to be a great gaming chip to last a while when that releases in the coming months.

I'd be considering route 1 personally, if I wasn't waiting it out. At normal gaming resolutions and graphics settings most of these CPUs perform the same outside of a few fringe cases.

Last edited:
Associate
Route 1 is an i5-12400 on a DDR4 mobo which appears to be a great 'budget' buy and will be a significant step up, with budget left over allowing you to bump up the ladder again in the next generation or two. An i5-12600 or Ryzen 5600X are also great alternatives with a little more in the tank.
Just to be clear, if you buy a 12### CPU and motherboard you'll be able to upgrade to 13### with a new CPU but anything else would require a new motherboard and new memory. As the following generation will use a new socket and be DDR5 only.
I'm personally planning to go from a 6700 Skylake CPU to a 12###/13### DDR4 motherboard in the next 12 months or so. I'll be keeping my existing memory and then waiting 3/4/5 years for the next step.

Associate
I'd go down the Intel 12600 route with a ddr4 board and men's to keep within budget.
Agreed. I have the 9th gen equivalent to what you are suggesting for this guy.

I only get beat in theoretical performance. Day to day and game to game you would not be able to notice a difference from a 9900K, I'm sure the same thing applies here.

Man of Honour

regards

In JayzTwoCents recent video, it seems to perform very well on old hardware. I'd just try it and see, if you haven't already.

Associate
With the 5600x dropping to £200 and 5800x at £320 (im sure it was 300 a few mins ago..) - do these suddenly become viable / comparable to the latest intel?

Soldato
With the 5600x dropping to £200 and 5800x at £320 (im sure it was 300 a few mins ago..) - do these suddenly become viable / comparable to the latest intel?
The drops just bring those more into line with Intels prices, 12400F @£160 and 12600KF @£250 so if you wanted to spend £40 or £70 less on the motherboards that would give you price parity but then you'd also have a cheaper board on an older platform with less modern features.

Associate
The drops just bring those more into line with Intels prices, 12400F @£160 and 12600KF @£250 so if you wanted to spend £40 or £70 less on the motherboards that would give you price parity but then you'd also have a cheaper board on an older platform with less modern features.

Excellent, exactly what i was after, thanks Joxeon

Associate
Just to be clear, if you buy a 12### CPU and motherboard you'll be able to upgrade to 13### with a new CPU but anything else would require a new motherboard and new memory. As the following generation will use a new socket and be DDR5 only.
I'm personally planning to go from a 6700 Skylake CPU to a 12###/13### DDR4 motherboard in the next 12 months or so. I'll be keeping my existing memory and then waiting 3/4/5 years for the next step.

Have a 6700K CPU probably do the same get Intel 12600 / DDR4 motherboard and use my DDR4 ram, cheaper upgrade then getting whole new rig.

Will wait a year or more things could change by then though so who know's.

Back
Top Bottom