• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU upgrade itch :)

Associate
Gents,

Currently have sandy bridge I5 2500k, running nicely @ around 4 Ghz (dont remember exactly its been a while since i was clocking it last time) seated in MSI P67A-GD65 Intel P67 (REV B3) Socket 1155 DDR3.

What would be nice upgrade that will not break the bank too much?

Cheers

Soldato
Short of going for a Haswel i5 I can't see you doing this on the cheap. An Ivy replacement wouldnt really be worth it I dont think. unless you thick you could use hyperthreading? in which case an i7 could be what you're after

Associate
OP
Short of going for a Haswel i5 I can't see you doing this on the cheap. An Ivy replacement wouldnt really be worth it I dont think. unless you thick you could use hyperthreading? in which case an i7 could be what you're after

Using my PC mostly for gaming and internet stuff, i dont think hyperthreading is a factor for me.

Cheers buddy.

Associate
honestly, I wouldn't upgrade it at all yet. instead I'd probably OC that to 4.4/4.5. and wait till next year and see where you are. Gaming wise you'll be fine.

Associate
OP
As far as upgrade paths go, the best you can do is a 3770k.

yeah, was looking at that one, but was thinking about something cheaper.
So looks like i am best sticking with what i have, as it does really all i need it to do, but when i get an itch, i tend to at least try to scratch it :)

Soldato
Get a decent cpu cooler if you don't have one already and get tinkering and overclocking. Should be able to hit 4.5/4.6GHz without too much trouble. For gaming it won't be holding you back. Why not consider a GPU upgrade.

Soldato
What cooler do you have?
depending on your cooler I would push it to 4.5ghz :)

The money you would need to upgrade wouldn't worth the low performance increase.

Associate
OP
Get a decent cpu cooler if you don't have one already and get tinkering and overclocking. Should be able to hit 4.5/4.6GHz without too much trouble. For gaming it won't be holding you back. Why not consider a GPU upgrade.

I am running Zalman aero flower air cooler, had it for a while. I have Antec P180 case with all fan slots populated, I have decent airflow,(I am not going to go into noise it can make if i set all fans to max rpm) liquid cooling is an option, but have not looked seriously into it.

Reason I am looking into CPU is new GPU i just got, www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-190-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1673 was a fantastic deal, i know my current CPU will cope fine with new GPU, but itch for new shiny things is stronger than reason :)

Soldato
i had the same problem. In the end I just smashed my 2500K up to 4.8ghz under water. Was toying with the idea of Ivy-E then though maybe get a 4770K. But it just didn't seem to be great value. I think I will hold out maybe for haswell-e or the next gen after that

Associate
If you don't have an SSD already that'll be a bigger upgrade than any CPU that would be sensible for you to buy.

Associate
Do not upgrade the 2500k, not much has got a humongous part better with Haswell. I am always ****ed off at myself for not buying a 2xxx series when they came out, they are still performing above and beyond what gaming and everyday productivity tasks need. If you want an upgrade:

SSD
More ram, make a ram disk, stick your temp file and internet cache there. If really fancy make a disk which is loaded from the hard drive each time you boot up, put your favourite apps/games on it.

Back
Top Bottom