• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Usage

Soldato
I think I know the answer but I wanted some other views, I noticed an odd stutter very rarely in resident evil 2 remake and I thought could be my CPU struggling.

Anyway as that game isn't demanding I booted up division 2, used msi after burner and saw in game at times mostly when in the open world and fighting it gets too 100% and sits there now it doesn't stutter immediy but I'll maybe turn and there will be a stutter again not all the time though.

My GPU isn't at 100% at this stage, am I right in thinking this is due to my lack of cores now? I do know most newer games want more. Basically I'm thinking is the CPU now becoming the bottle neck?

As it's the 7600k I don't have the HT the 7700k has

Soldato
100% CPU load in game is high risk for serious stutters.
Certainly it will cause notable drops in framerates, because CPU can't do all jobs as fast as possible.
Severity of symptoms likely vary from game to game with some games capable to causing more spikier CPU load.
Ideally you would want average CPU load to be well below 100% to leave margin for those load spikes.

Unless being able to do change for pocket money you would use for candy, 7700K doesn't make sense anymore.
HT is bad replacement for real extra cores when there's clearly inadequate amount of those.
Actually there are games in which having it enabled is known to cause slight performance regression vs disabled. (though that might be also down to Windows scheduler)

Soldato
Sell your motherboard, cpu and ram if its under 3200 and buy a b450, ryzen 5 3600 and 3200-3600 ram. you could probably get the same money for your 7600k as brand new r5 3600 costs so upgrade in total would set you back less than £100 and you would gain 2 core 8 threads over your current set up. not only would you have a better performing machine but you would also have a upgrade path in the future to 12 or even 16 cores.

Soldato
Sell your motherboard, cpu and ram if its under 3200 and buy a b450, ryzen 5 3600 and 3200-3600 ram. you could probably get the same money for your 7600k as brand new r5 3600 costs so upgrade in total would set you back less than £100 and you would gain 2 core 8 threads over your current set up. not only would you have a better performing machine but you would also have a upgrade path in the future to 12 or even 16 cores.

this x 100000

maj

maj

Soldato
Apologies for the off topic question but:

A 7700K might remove the stutter, and yet even people with 8600K/9600K's are reporting stuttering in games, its Intel's stinginess with Hyper Threading on lower end CPU's.

Sell the 7600K, get a Ryzen 3600...

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX.

Ryzen 3600.

You won't regret it.

<graph>

What article is that graph taken from? I have a 980TI with a 3600 and B450 Tomahawk (non-max) and on the game's own benchmark I get 55fps on very high settings at 1080p.

Soldato
OP
games are ok on my PC

i do stutter on Watch Dogs (but so does everyone apparently)

i can Overclock mine to 4.5 (from 3.5)

If i run some games on High / Ultra i get "some" stutter but no where near 100% usage
Very strange as I would expect same, as looking at your sig didn't the 7600k replace the 6600k?

The CPU always tops out in division 2 (this causes the stutter), granted most of games I play it's perfectly fine.

I literally have items in my basket just can't decide on if I should pull trigger!

Back
Top Bottom