Creatine use.......AGAIN!

Soldato
I have been using creatine for a couple of days (mono)
and today I read this...

"Creatine Monohydrate should always be taken with fruit juice or sugary drinks. This is because simple sugars increase the concentration of Creatine in the muscles more than by taking it with water. It should also be taken away from other protein sources."

I have just been adding 5 grams to either my PWO shake, or my night time shake on non gym days, and planned to do this for a couple of months, then have a month off and see if I think I have gained from it. Looking at the above I should not have it in my PWO shake??? is this correct?

Surely the body needs protein and creatine after a workout? I thaught one of the reasons creatine works is because it helps the body absorb protein so surely taking them in the same shake would not cause trouble?

The rest of my shake is just 2 scoops of reflex instant whey if that makes any difference, not really any carbs etc... just protein. Then I normally get a meal anything from a hour to 3 hours after that shake.

Am I doing it completely wrong, or is this BS?

Soldato
OP
moss said:
The Hurricane formula from MP has creatine mixed with protein so I would imagine its fine, but im far far from an expert.
I was going to start using creatine/dextrose in the next week or so.

Its not too deer (only paid £15 for 500g of Reflex creapture Creatine) So I'll stick it in with my evening shake and see what happens. If it works then its all good, if not then its only £15 wasted!

I just wanted to make sure I'm taking it properly and giving it the best cahnce to work!

Soldato
OP
MTA99 said:
Most people take creatine mono with some form of carbs to help drive the creatine into the muscles.

The odd bit about the quote is the "it should be taken away from other protein sources." which kinda implies that the author thinks that creatine is a protein :confused:

You'll find a lot of advice which says take creatine in your post-wo shake.

So I am fine having it as I am now, but should have some sort of carbs in my post wo shake as well, because there isn't much in my reflex. What could I put in? crushed oats? How much carbs do you need?

Soldato
OP
Nazbit said:
There is no problem taking it with a protein shake or a mass gainer post work out.

You should however make sure that you have an insulin spike, very important if you are using mono, so a banana, or any quality electrolyte drink will do.

Maybe I should change the question then....

PWO shakes, what do you guys put in them.

At the moment I have reflex whey and 5g creatine. I now need some carbs in there right? and some sugar of some sort to cause an insulin spike? would a spoon of sugar in there help??

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Still a little confused.... If I add say 50g of oats (dont know if thats enough/too much) and 2 spoons of sugar to my PWO and non workout evening shakes will this do the trick.

I use reflex instant whey every morning, and every night. And add 5g of creatine every night currently.

Dont want to get an instant mass as it will last a lot less time and I am paying for carbs and other crap which I do not want to do. You might pay the same for the same ammount of product, but you use it faster because the dosage is much higher to get the protein you need

I will get some oats from my protein, anything else while I'm there? lol, once you choose one suppliment you end up taking them all! :D

Soldato
OP
Right so I going to go with 50g of oats, bit of sugar, 5g creatine mono and some multi vitamins as my PWO and evening rest day shake. Soung good?

Looking at comments above, on rest days would it be better to take my creatine in the morning, then PWO on gym days?
I'll get on MP and order some oats!

Soldato
OP
I think I have my diet nailled as much as it is going to get. It has the odd slip of a curry here and there, but on the whole I'd say it is pretty good!

Yes there will be weigh in there! :)

So on non workout days I will take creatine in the morning, on workout days I will take it PWO with my whey and oats!

Do normal oats from the supermarket not taste minging in a shake? I presume the crushed ones mix in better is this wrong? if so I will pick up some normal oats tonight!

In about 2 months time I will have a month off creatine, and probably have a cutting and maintain muscle month anyway to get off the excess :) . Then If I feel it has worked I will get back on it after that.

Thanks guys you have been great, hopefully I will have some good gains to tell you about in a few months!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'll post my diet to make sure is as decent as I think it is....

morning - 30 whey, 100g oats (5g creatine on non gym days) in semi milk. reflex multi vitamin.
2 weetabix

mid morning - snack (whatever I have at work, nuts, digestive biscits, flapjack etc...)

Lunch - Rice and tuna is common, pasta and bacon with a little cheese source, 4* ham sandwiched on brown bread etc....

mid afternoon snack (same as mid morning)

Multi vitamin

GYM (3* week, mon, wed, fri/sat)

PWO shake - 50g oats, 5g creatine 40g whey in about 500ml semi milk (delete if not working out)

Evening Meal, normally healty, always substantial.

Shake at around 9-10pm on non workout days to replace PWO shake 50g oats, 30g whey in semi milk.

Soldato
OP
Chong Warrior said:
I've become immune to the taste of shakes, honestly some of the stuf I've taken is truly disgusting!! :D

Yes the crushed oats from MP are easier to drink but they're expensive as they cost about 7 times more than normal oats. I stick them in a blender usually but sometimes I'll also just put them in a shaker and let them soak for 10 mins and neck them.

Bit of Nesquik is ok if you don't like bland drinks. The ultimate flavouring is something like Green & Blacks organic cocoa powder, though cadbury's is cheaper and almost as good. Here's a little snip from another site

I use it all the time, it's VERY good for you.

Good luck with the training :)

I will give normal oats a go tonight, see if I can stomach them should be ok, are the ammounts above good? The reflex is flavoured, but when its not a bit of cadburrys cocoa will be going in unflavoured mp whey 80 with my oats, how much do you put in?

Soldato
OP
MTA99 said:
You need a cheat meal (or two) every week to keep your metabolism on its toes and to stop you going crazy. You'll find it a lot easier to avoid snacking on "unhealthy" foods if you know you can have a dirty great curry on a friday night!! :D

Every saturday without fail, I love madras!!! Other than that I am pretty good, the odd can of boddingtons wrecks it for me as well! :D

Soldato
OP
Oh yea, whilst were on diet, I know peanuts are an ace snack for BB'ers but I presume the salted variety are not so hot. I say this because I have about a kilo of them that need eating from xmas! :D

Just ordered 500 Omega 3 tabs from MP, tired of hearing how great it is, and presume there aint much in john west/somerfield value tuna! which is the only fish I eat!

Soldato
OP
Chong Warrior said:
Tuna is a good source of Omega 3 but it's still a good idea to supplement. It's almost impossible to eat too much Omega 3 with our diets as they're so rich in Omega 6 & 9.

I eat fish almost everyday and still take about 8-10 capsules a day.

I'll get right on it then. I dont like heart attacks, £13 every few months just for that alone and the cholesterol benefits (which is high in my family so will probably affect me). Seems there are training benefits as well so I will bang them in! Is 3 twice a day going to be enough, 3 3times a day better? I have heard of people taking about 20 a day, seems a bit excessive!

Soldato
OP
Nazbit said:
Exactly, but people are thick.

tellme about it, my girlfriend asked me if I was on steroids before. Her friend had told her I was because thats what my protein shakes were! :eek: how thick can some people be!

My girlfriend is just a bit blond forsemi-beleaving it, but how thick must the person who told her this be! That will be a nice rumour going round for me! :mad:

Soldato
OP
Skull said:
Nahhh man people will be scared of you! That extra testosterone could make you explode with rage if they press the wrong buttons! All the social intimidation benefits of steroid use with none of the effot!

lol, never looked at it that way :D

Back
Top Bottom