Creatine use.......AGAIN!

Soldato
I have been using creatine for a couple of days (mono)
and today I read this...

"Creatine Monohydrate should always be taken with fruit juice or sugary drinks. This is because simple sugars increase the concentration of Creatine in the muscles more than by taking it with water. It should also be taken away from other protein sources."

I have just been adding 5 grams to either my PWO shake, or my night time shake on non gym days, and planned to do this for a couple of months, then have a month off and see if I think I have gained from it. Looking at the above I should not have it in my PWO shake??? is this correct?

Surely the body needs protein and creatine after a workout? I thaught one of the reasons creatine works is because it helps the body absorb protein so surely taking them in the same shake would not cause trouble?

The rest of my shake is just 2 scoops of reflex instant whey if that makes any difference, not really any carbs etc... just protein. Then I normally get a meal anything from a hour to 3 hours after that shake.

Am I doing it completely wrong, or is this BS?

Soldato
The Hurricane formula from MP has creatine mixed with protein so I would imagine its fine, but im far far from an expert.
I was going to start using creatine/dextrose in the next week or so.

Soldato
OP
moss said:
The Hurricane formula from MP has creatine mixed with protein so I would imagine its fine, but im far far from an expert.
I was going to start using creatine/dextrose in the next week or so.

Its not too deer (only paid £15 for 500g of Reflex creapture Creatine) So I'll stick it in with my evening shake and see what happens. If it works then its all good, if not then its only £15 wasted!

I just wanted to make sure I'm taking it properly and giving it the best cahnce to work!

Soldato
Oakesy2001uk said:
"Creatine Monohydrate should always be taken with fruit juice or sugary drinks. This is because simple sugars increase the concentration of Creatine in the muscles more than by taking it with water. It should also be taken away from other protein sources."

Most people take creatine mono with some form of carbs to help drive the creatine into the muscles.

The odd bit about the quote is the "it should be taken away from other protein sources." which kinda implies that the author thinks that creatine is a protein :confused:

You'll find a lot of advice which says take creatine in your post-wo shake.

Soldato
OP
MTA99 said:
Most people take creatine mono with some form of carbs to help drive the creatine into the muscles.

The odd bit about the quote is the "it should be taken away from other protein sources." which kinda implies that the author thinks that creatine is a protein :confused:

You'll find a lot of advice which says take creatine in your post-wo shake.

So I am fine having it as I am now, but should have some sort of carbs in my post wo shake as well, because there isn't much in my reflex. What could I put in? crushed oats? How much carbs do you need?

Soldato
Oakesy2001uk said:
So I am fine having it as I am now, but should have some sort of carbs in my post wo shake as well, because there isn't much in my reflex. What could I put in? crushed oats? How much carbs do you need?

In general you want some simple carbs post workout to replace the glycogen lost during your workout and to raise insulin so that you absorb all the protein, creatine and whatever else you chuck down your neck post workout.

Soldato
There is no problem taking it with a protein shake or a mass gainer post work out.

You should however make sure that you have an insulin spike, very important if you are using mono, so a banana, or any quality electrolyte drink will do.

Soldato
OP
Nazbit said:
There is no problem taking it with a protein shake or a mass gainer post work out.

You should however make sure that you have an insulin spike, very important if you are using mono, so a banana, or any quality electrolyte drink will do.

Maybe I should change the question then....

PWO shakes, what do you guys put in them.

At the moment I have reflex whey and 5g creatine. I now need some carbs in there right? and some sugar of some sort to cause an insulin spike? would a spoon of sugar in there help??

Last edited:
Soldato
Mono is taken with fruit juice etc as this creates an insulin spike which draws the creatine up into the muscles.

My post workout shakes consist of whey, oats & leucine.

Soldato
Oakesy2001uk said:
At the moment I have reflex whey and 5g creatine. I now need some carbs in there right? and some sugar of some sort to cause an insulin spike? would a spoon of sugar in there help??

Maybe try some oats?

If you are buying instant whey and only using it post workout then maybe consider switching over to reflex instant mass for your post work out shake, it costs exactly the same from most suppliers and has 50g of protein and 50g of carbs per serving.

Soldato
Nazbit said:
Maybe try some oats?

If you are buying instant whey and only using it post workout then maybe consider switching over to reflex instant mass for your post work out shake, it costs exactly the same from most suppliers and has 50g of protein and 50g of carbs per serving.

I would definately go for the oats. If you get yourself over to MP they sell Ultra Fine Scottish Oats which are roughly 70% Carbohydrate, and they have no rubbish in like the mass shakes will indefinately contain.

Soldato
S7yl3s said:
No I haven't, would you recommend this? What do you mix your BCAA's with?
Yes I think it would be much more beneficial to you during your workout than in your PWO shake. I fill my shaker cup with water and add about 20g-15g of bcaa & leucine mixed together (50/50) along with about 15g of dextrose, then I'll just flavour it with a little juice.

By the time I get to the gym 10 mins later it's all completely dissolved :)

Try it one time and see what you think. I recommend on a very hard training day when you'll feel it's effects more (you'd feel it even stronger when cutting and in a calorie defecit) Definately helps keep the energy levels up no doubt about it and it helps keep your body in an anabolic state while you train. This anabolic amino acid is also in abundance in your system when your muscles need it the most, makes sense to me :)

Soldato
Chong Warrior said:
Yes I think it would be much more beneficial to you during your workout than in your PWO shake. I fill my shaker cup with water and add about 20g-15g of bcaa & leucine mixed together (50/50) along with about 15g of dextrose, then I'll just flavour it with a little juice.

By the time I get to the gym 10 mins later it's all completely dissolved :)

Try it one time and see what you think. I recommend on a very hard training day when you'll feel it's effects more (you'd feel it even stronger when cutting and in a calorie defecit) Definately helps keep the energy levels up no doubt about it and it helps keep your body in an anabolic state while you train. This anabolic amino acid is also in abundance in your system when your muscles need it the most, makes sense to me :)

Very interesting, Thanks for the information :) I will try this tomorrow when I train.

Soldato
OP
Still a little confused.... If I add say 50g of oats (dont know if thats enough/too much) and 2 spoons of sugar to my PWO and non workout evening shakes will this do the trick.

I use reflex instant whey every morning, and every night. And add 5g of creatine every night currently.

Dont want to get an instant mass as it will last a lot less time and I am paying for carbs and other crap which I do not want to do. You might pay the same for the same ammount of product, but you use it faster because the dosage is much higher to get the protein you need

I will get some oats from my protein, anything else while I'm there? lol, once you choose one suppliment you end up taking them all! :D

Back
Top Bottom