• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Creating a CPU stress test

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm creating my own CPU stress test for a bit of fun.
Wanting some advice of where to put pressure on the CPU?
my first thought is get this program to focus on arithmetic so int/float point operations.

Currently implementation:
  • My program will determine how many cores and threads are available
  • Then locks each core to a certain tasks to run
  • In this case getting two random numbers to generate (between 1 & 10 Million)
  • then multiplying these together And checking the answer A set amount of times to see if any come back false
The plan would be incorporate other processes into this such as AVX etc in the future. again this is just a fun project. where once complete the source code will be open-source

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm creating my own CPU stress test for a bit of fun.
Wanting some advice of where to put pressure on the CPU?
my first thought is get this program to focus on arithmetic so int/float point operations.

Currently implementation:
  • My program will determine how many cores and threads are available
  • Then locks each core to a certain tasks to run
  • In this case getting two random numbers to generate (between 1 & 10 Million)
  • then multiplying these together And checking the answer A set amount of times to see if any come back false
The plan would be incorporate other processes into this such as AVX etc in the future. again this is just a fun project. where once complete the source code will be open-source

Get it to run prime 95 twice in background - no on a serious note would be great if the stress test somehow helped a good cause somehow

Soldato
OP
so 20 minutes in testing.

• 32 cores tested
  • Creates a Separate process for each Core/Thread
  • Gets Two random float numbers & does multiplication
  • Repeats this multiplication 50 times & checks the answers all match
  • If their is an error:
  • it will generate a hash error and stop the test
  • repeats this forever until it stops.

• currently debating, Timing how long it has been running/Loops
  • want to add an external element like handbrake or maybe Science Calc test (to help a cause as suggested)
  • want to add some Instruction set information

• Notes:
  • its using 179W of my threadripper so it taxing it.
  • CPU is at 57C Realbench is normally 65C, but no AVX been added yet

PxE8Tu0.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
can you add a gui with a little flame that flickers while it's running?

Oh that'd be pretty cool!

And a clock that's always a few minutes wrong. That'd trigger loads of benchmarkers

haha nice, not sure about a gui, its more cpu/memory cycles i could use else where.

currently writing this in python but could create this in C to which may give me better Support.

Currently all working in 36 lines of code. include 4 lines of imports

Associate
Pah ! No need for complicated programs, put your cpu's in a room with my girlfriend for a few hours, that'll stress them better than any pussy benchmark program.

Back
Top Bottom