Creative ways of fitting another 3.5" HDD when no more space

Associate
What would you do, I've used up the 2 free bays and only have 2 vertical SSD type places inside the case.

What have you guys used to secure another 3.5£ drive inside the case? Do I need to cover the Circuit board on the back to prevent shorting too?

Soldato
How creative do you wanna be.

Drill 4 holes (or a minimum of 2 diagonal holes) and mount it on any free flat space using the screw holes in the drive. Even an internal dividing wall.

Associate
OP
You not got any 5.25 inch bays?

Nope, its a clear front panel so no bays unfortunately

3M VHB tape, sooo many uses.

Is this like a thick double sided tape?

Use 2.5in drives instead of 3.5in ?

Extra long SATA cable, plus a molex extender? and mount externally?

No, its an exisiting drive and needs to be inside but thanks anyway

How creative do you wanna be.

Drill 4 holes (or a minimum of 2 diagonal holes) and mount it on any free flat space using the screw holes in the drive. Even an internal dividing wall.

May have to go this route. Does the Circuit board need covering you think?

Soldato
May have to go this route. Does the Circuit board need covering you think?

Shouldn't think so unless you're putting it on a surface which isn't completely flat, I'm looking at a couple of drives right now and none of the components let alone the circuit board touches anything if put down.

Soldato
Yes 3M VHB is double-sided tape and you can get various versions depending on the use case. Make sure you buy the genuine stuff and clean both surfaces with alcohol.

Associate
Buy a cheap HP g7 N40L on ebay, buy the budget unraid OS, probs cost you like £100 all in, get the bios hack so it can use 6 disks at full speeds and voila, fancy 6 bay 25W nas for like £100. Put your storage in a NAS instead.

Back
Top Bottom