Creative X-FI Soundblaster Can hear myself talking?

Associate
I have another thread before this about another issue, this is separate.

Unless I Mute my mic, I can hear myself through my headset.

Yes I've checked to see if 'Listen to my Device' is on, which I've checked every playback device and its not.

I have Creative Audio Control Panel, so If I mute my mic in there, it stops.

And it Buzzes every now and then which is abit random.

Any help will be much appreciated, these problems are driving me mad lol :S

EDIT: It only seems to happen when using my headset, as it doesn't play out my monitors speaker.

Last edited:
Associate
I used to have to mute my mic in the sound blaster control panel on my old XF-i also and the mic would still work on Teamspeak and such. Strange...

This was through the main control panel and not the one you mentioned though.

Soldato
I was reading another thread on this. The guy with the same issue was told to disable the 'listen to device' option. His was also disabled. There are probably other things you can try, but at the moment, I'm not sure TBH.

This reminds me why I didn't bother getting another sound card when my last one broke. They can be more hassle than they are worth sometimes.

Associate
OP
The reason I got this external sound card was to fix an interference issue I was having when playng games, which it did fix, but with that has come more problems, which is a shame because now Im stuck, whatever I do, keep or return, Im going to have problems, all because of this :S

I should just become a hermit and live peacefully out in the woods away technology.

Soldato
Microphone trouble is worse than speaker or headphone trouble, because you have to use a microphone that is connected via electrical wiring. Whether it be USB, a sound card or onboard audio, they are all connected electrically and if you can't get rid of problem, not much you can do. :(

Speaker and headphone output can use optical, which gets round the problem. Pity there is no way optical input can be used for microphone. :(

Technology: Fantastic when it works as expected, a complete ******* pile of **** when it doesn't. :mad:

Have you tried lowering the microphone gain or sensitivity slider?

Associate
OP
Thank you, but I think I somehow fixed it, not sure how long for though, I launched a game, but tried using an extension for the mic, so i had the speakers going into soundcard, and mic going into pc, mic didnt work, so i put it back with extention into soundcard, couldnt hear myself, took away extention (so im pretty much back to square 1) and its gone, ive closed the game down and it still has no voice playback.

So a lot of trial and error... im kinda speachless lol but it wasnt doing it yestarday was only today, and now its gone and ive wasted a lot of time because of it.

Now onto the next problem till this one returns, the audio crack/pop when changing audio volume/pause/skipping/starting songs. YEY fun times

Associate
OP
Nope, just realised everytime I load up a game my mic decides to mute itself, and when i close game/minimise it unmutes.

I give up.

Soldato
The problem is possibly to do with the microphone and headphone being in such a close proximity, along with whatever interference is going on. If you have electrical noise from USB sockets that will be picked up by the sound card, causing the pop/crackle and microphone issues.

The only thing that might help with the X-Fi SB issues, would be to buy the USB ground loop isolator, mentioned in the other thread and connect the sound card to that. Although, you'd be spending near £30 and there is no guarantee that will cure the problem. Sadly, it comes down to trial and error. :(

Associate
OP
Hmm I have my mic muted (according to Creative audio control panel), yet applications still pick it up, like what happened to Digit.
Sooo.. I think, this whole time, I was good to go lol.. FML

Thanks though :)

Klo

Klo

Soldato
I had that until I changed the audio setting in the Creative control panel from 'Entertainment to 'Audio Creation'. Not sure why it worked, but it did.

Back
Top Bottom