Credit card chargeback

Associate
Need a bit of help here. First and foremost here's some background:

Mid-August (18th ish) 2014: Ordered some camera items in Australia while I was there to be delivered to the hotel I was staying at. When I order they say it'll ship a week later and I'm thinking that's not going to work (bearing in mind it's not next day delivery in Australia). So I phone up and ask what the problem is. Apparently one of the items isn't in stock which happens. So that's fine. I say scrap that item, give me a refund for it and send the rest of the items.

End of August (31st ish) 2014: Two weeks later when the package arrives the two items (out of 3 originally ordered) are there, as expected. The receipt (/tax invoice) which looks like a receipt from a till (as it also has a store) only lists those two items. Good. The original invoice from the website still has the three items but that's fine because it hasn't been updated.

Beginning of September (10th ish) 2014: Three weeks after receiving the order I'm back in Ol' Blighty with credit card statements at hand. They've only gone and charged me for all 3 items. OK, I say to myself, that's fine, just a mistake somewhere. I phone them that day and explain the situation. The guy on the other end of the phone can see exactly what has happened, agrees that I'm due a refund and says I'll have it with 2 weeks or something (can't remember the exact time frame).

Beginning of October (4th) 2014: I email them (as I now don't have landline access so am not willing to pay extortionate fees for calling from mobile). In the email I say that I've already requested a refund of money that they should never have taken from my account in the first place. I explain to them the timings as I have above. I further said that if I didn't receive confirmation of the refund by the end of last week that I would start a credit card chargeback.

So my three questions:

1) Firstly, can I actually do a credit card chargeback? (I've already paid it off if that makes a difference).

1a) From the looks of it Mastercard offer chargebacks for anything over £10? This item was about £26.66.

2) Am I in the right to do a credit chargeback?

3) How long will it take for me to get my money?

Purchased on a Halifax Clarity card if it makes any difference.

Associate
Really not sure but think you should be able to.

When you said camera gear I was thinking this is going to be £££

It's odd that the shop owner admitted the mistake but then didn't actually refund, pretty shady stuff

Soldato
Yes, what's the problem? Just call your credit card company, explain the situation as above - you've been charged for goods not supplied and the company hasn't given the promised refund. They may ask you to put it in writing.

Man of Honour
Give your card issuer a call they'll be able to give much better answers than we can, but yes I'd say you're well within your rights to do a chargeback they've had ample time to fix their error.

Soldato
1) Firstly, can I actually do a credit card chargeback? (I've already paid it off if that makes a difference).
1a) From the looks of it Mastercard offer chargebacks for anything over £10? This item was about £26.66. [

Yes, you paying it off is irrelevant.

2) Am I in the right to do a credit chargeback?

Yes, your situation is exactly why the chargeback operation exists.

3) How long will it take for me to get my money?

If the store ignores you, your bank must recover the money no later than 120 days after the chargeback form is issued. Normally, the process is much faster, 10-30 days.

Soldato
Anyone would think that credit card customer services aren't there to answer questions about potential credit card charge backs!

Soldato
I'd have been suspicious when he told you that he'd do the refund within two weeks. It should have taken a couple of minutes, anything over 24 hours would be deemed unacceptable. Speak with your credit card company and see what options you have.

Back
Top Bottom