Credit Card insurance policy...

Soldato
Just why do banks insist on attempting to sell you credit card or loan insurances? They try all they can to sell these products. I’ve just been on the phone to MBNA as I got charged 72p for every £100 I’d spent on my credit card a few weeks back. I’d only just got the card, is its 0% for new purchases so cheap credit for a few months.

I didn’t realise that the card had an insurance policy, so promptly called them to cancel the policy. Which brings another subject up, as I don’t remember even getting a policy document or anything indicating I was going to be charge 72p for every £100 I spent. They even charged interest on the policy payment.

After a few calls, I’d never heard such hard sales to try and “trick” me into buying the policy. They played on emotions, scare tactics, and promised they will pay 5 times the minimum payment each month if I was ill etc.

I quoted what about the reported 70% of claims that do not get paid, or why did I not get any policy documents, and why was I charged interest. Basically, given figures I had no idea if are true by the operator, again played on my human emotions of fear of being out of work, examples of how the scheme works, but in the end, the only reason they want me to have this policy is to make money, and also charge on this policy, interest.

I even said, OK, why do I need to pay the 72p from the card, and why not by Direct debit to dodge the interest charge. Wouldn’t allow this, but in the end I was just playing around with them, messing their time until I finally told him to cancel it with immediate effect. He “THEN” tried to sell me another type of policy that was cheaper. OK, so if I didn’t want the 72p policy, but now you expect me to buy a cheaper policy, then why would I want this one? Just what part of the conversation the operator didn’t understand. Last time I heard, no and cancel means not required and cease.

They must make good money from these products.

Permabanned
Yes they are a rip off IMO. And usually when I've rung my credit card companies they have tried to get me to sign-up. I expect they make a fortune out of it.

Associate
They make a massive amount of money doing nothing, thats why they do them. Then if you do claim they will try and wriggle out of it

Soldato
It would be a breach of FSA regulations if they didn't send you out policy documents and let you know of your right to cancel.

Also they would have had to ask you, and it's not put on automatically to cards or cannot be assumed you want it. I deal with this stuff at work. If it's the same all round then the insurance policy you had has to be mentioned to you by law and asked if you would like it or not.

There are also particular requirements to be had when taking this insurance out. So if you don't meet those requirements then it's another breach of FSA regulations. But I understand what you mean about pushy people trying to ram it down your throat and not taking no for an answer.

Soldato
There will more than likely have been a little tick box on your application to say you do or do not want the insurance. It catches out a lot of people.

As me227 said, it's a breach of FSA regulations if you didn't recieve any policy documents, plus you can usually cancel within the first month with no charge if you don't want it.

Soldato
OP
me227 said:
It would be a breach of FSA regulations if they didn't send you out policy documents and let you know of your right to cancel.

Also they would have had to ask you, and it's not put on automatically to cards or cannot be assumed you want it. I deal with this stuff at work. If it's the same all round then the insurance policy you had has to be mentioned to you by law and asked if you would like it or not.

There are also particular requirements to be had when taking this insurance out. So if you don't meet those requirements then it's another breach of FSA regulations. But I understand what you mean about pushy people trying to ram it down your throat and not taking no for an answer.

That is what I thought, I was pretty shocked when I saw my statement, and there it was. I mentioned this today in the office, and someone else chipped in saying this happened to them as well...

I'm now thinking of reporting this, as I won't get my money back I paid out, as they refused me a refund. OK, it was only £3.60, after charges made it under a fiver, but still... Five pounds is five pounds, give or take..

What really peeved me off, is how he was trying to jam it down my throat. Just wouldn't take no for an answer. TBH, if I loose my job, I'll sort something out and for the sake of a £500 bill (brought a new TV LOL) then it's not worth the extra cost per month.. I haven't worked out the figures, but on an average of £3.60 over the 9 month 0% period, this would come out as £33. OK, I'll be paying the card each month, and I "WILL" not have the balance at the end of the 9 month term, as I only wanted the 0% for 9 months, but on average if I hadn't paid anything off (but I will have) they make a tidy profit on such a small amount..

Steer clear of these type of products.. I agree, a total rip off..

Soldato
OP
wyrdo said:
There will more than likely have been a little tick box on your application to say you do or do not want the insurance. It catches out a lot of people.

I think this is where I went wrong. Odd for me, as I'm the sort of person who triple checks everything... And I'm pretty sure I never got any documentation. I even looked over the agreement they sent me.

Still, cancelled now. Be wary all of you.

Back
Top Bottom