Credit xpert

Man of Honour
Many lenders do use a 'score' as part of the criteria.

When we request details of an applicant the score is the primary method we use, only those on the fringe do we look in detail.

Same as other places I have worked.

A score, not that score. The lender calculates its own score based on its own lending criteria.

Associate
[TW]Fox;23177526 said:
A score, not that score. The lender calculates its own score based on its own lending criteria.

The credit agency of choice will send you 'their' score. We (and the two other places I've worked) simply applied our ranges to their score.

Experian, Teletrack, Equifax etc all provide a delphi score (appreciate there will be variances) but they do provide a score. And lenders will make primary decisions on that score.

There is truth in that the score is meaningless to a "customer", doesn't mean it's meaningless entirely though.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Lol signed up, found 7 errors on my report, was showing my parents bank acc, their loan, Gas and leccy..

All becuase he and I share the same first name, don't they read full applications and stuff and take into account the middle name at all. Iv had to send them 7 disputes, lets see how good they are at sorting that lot out lol.

I was the same, all sorted now though. How they could think I took out a car loan when I was 12 I don't know!

Man of Honour
The main reason the score is so meaningless is it has no knowledge of your salary.

Somebody on £8k a year with a £10k outstanding credit card balance is a potential disaster waiting to happen.

Whereas somebody on £100k a year might routinely have a balance of £10k just through regular spending within that months billing cycle. Only when you look at income combined with the other information on the profile can you make an accurate 'guess' as to the creditworthyness of that individual.

The scores on the credit agency websites are generally there to extract £5.99 from you for generating them (With the exception of Noddle).

It is also a fallacy that credit card companies are not interested in people who never pay interest as they 'make no money'. They absolutely do - they take a percentage of each transaction as a merchant fee!

Permabanned
Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair my score on there was 999...not that it really means anything :p

I was just using it as I had a bit of Fraud that I had to check out on all the sites (free trial naturally).

As others have mentioned though, Noddle is your friend :)

Associate
[TW]Fox;23178351 said:
The main reason the score is so meaningless is it has no knowledge of your salary.

Somebody on £8k a year with a £10k outstanding credit card balance is a potential disaster waiting to happen.

Whereas somebody on £100k a year might routinely have a balance of £10k just through regular spending within that months billing cycle. Only when you look at income combined with the other information on the profile can you make an accurate 'guess' as to the creditworthyness of that individual.

The scores on the credit agency websites are generally there to extract £5.99 from you for generating them (With the exception of Noddle).

It is also a fallacy that credit card companies are not interested in people who never pay interest as they 'make no money'. They absolutely do - they take a percentage of each transaction as a merchant fee!

The points you are making are entirely valid. The point I was disagreeing with was in your first post:

Lenders will look at your file and use the information in it - not a score - to decide whether to offer you credit and on what terms.

This isn't true, the credit agencies usually send the referrer a score back (with other information sure) and lenders can and will use it as a basis.

Soldato
Lol signed up, found 7 errors on my report, was showing my parents bank acc, their loan, Gas and leccy..

All becuase he and I share the same first name, don't they read full applications and stuff and take into account the middle name at all. Iv had to send them 7 disputes, lets see how good they are at sorting that lot out lol.

I had the SAME problems with my report showing my father's stuff on my account, it caused no end of problems are took best part of a year to sort.

Soldato
I seem to be getting a flood of spam after signing up to noddle. Coincidence?

I always make sure I uncheck any marketing tickboxes.

Back
Top Bottom