• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

crossfire heat!!

Associate
Hello,

I have two 4870's and I noticed that the top one is running very hot. The fan goes to 100% (but doesn't sound like it) and it kept climbing to over 100c! The lower card gets to about 85c and stops climbing. I am guessing this is excessively hot? Any recommendations!

Soldato
Well if only one is overheating then you need to find out if it's the card or its positioning. Do this by swapping your cards over and see if the top one still gets hotter than the bottom.

If it's still the top one that's getting hot then it's the positioning and you'll need to address airflow in your case. If it's the same card that then overheats on the bottom then you need to find out what is causing it to overheat (dusty or faulty are the onlt options really).

I am assuming that they are identical cards with identical cooler by the way.

Associate
As I recall my 4870's ran very hot, sometimes topped 100 on the primary, I think the chips can take more than that so its probably fine, just space them out more if possible, or strap a fan to them

Associate
OP
Cool, i'll switch them over tomorrow and see if its the airflow. I have an antec 900 so there is plenty of fans in it so i may up the speed on a few and put a fan over the top of the gpu's too as there is a space for one. Good to hear it isn't unusual for these cards. :)

Associate
I had some heat issues with xfire 6870's so set up afterburner to crank the fan up,not ideal noise wise but does the job.
Using an Antec 902,noise is not unbareable.

Back
Top Bottom