Crucial Ballistics and DFI boards.

Suspended
Hi

I am having all sorts of problems with this memory (2 x 512's) in both my Ultra-D and 875P-T boards.

Basicaly no matter which slot, how many sticks i put in or how i configure the bios's (both on current bios's) Memtest throws up errors straight away but if i drop them into my housemate's poxy old Asrock Skt A unit they happily sit there and will run perfectly and i can loop Memtest to my hearts content with no errors at all.

Anyone have any ideas as to what i can do other than selling or swapping the ****** things.

Cheers.

*edit*

These also ran fine in my Epox 9NDA3J.

Last edited:
Have you tried manually adjusting the memory timings? When I first got my DFI board, I threw in a couple of TwinMOS and got the same kind of thing - constant MemTest86 errors, even on auto (SPD) settings. Configure the memory settings myself manually, and they were rock stable.

Good call, in my frustration i didn't think of that. Have set the timings manualy in the Ultra-D and i get no errors at all :D, i'm going to loop the test for a bit just to make sure...cheers dude.

Ahh crap spoke too soon it just took longer to bring up errors. :( I think this memory has had it to be honest i think i shall be phoning Crucial on Monday.

Last edited:
Before sending them back, fiddle with the ram voltage too. Some chips prefer more voltage, some prefer less. I found mine were most stable at 2.4V rather than the DFI default of 2.66.

That said, some companies are now refusing to stock Crucial Ballistix, as they are turning out to be unreliable (too many returns).

have 2x512mb crucial (pc-4000), running on an ultra-d here just fine (after tweaking the timings) on bios 704 2bta

in the beginning - loads of errs in memtest, now memtest runs for 24 hrs fine.

deffo try a newer bios, or that one i used since it does make a diff. example, on my sli-dr mobo, my geil value ram wouldnt run together without errs in memtest until i went to bios 623. then, no probs with memory at all

that guide they have about overclocking and messing around with your memory is really good too. :)

Ok time to admit to not reading all the figures in the bios properly like a muppet :rolleyes: .

Tomos after reading through some post on DFI Street i installed that very bios on my Ultra-D but what i didn't register was that the memory was defaulting to 2.4v when it should have been 2.8v so it was way under volted and even when i put it up to 2.6v it still threw out some errors, so after a quick google search to determin the right voltage and setting it thus the memory in my Ultra-D has been doing a continuous loop of memtest (23 so far) for almost 6 and a half hours now without any faults :D , to be honest i don't care if it doesn't work in the 875 now as i have at least one set of working memory for both boards but i may as well try it just to see if that was the problem.

Cheers for all the suggestions guy's

:)

ah, that thing. have a copy of that.

webspace is a little full at the mo, so i saved the settings it found for mine. below is contents of thingy.a64

no idea what this means tbh. personally, when i set this up, i concentrated on the main timings, i.e 3-4-4-8 etc

[DRAM]
Tcl=327368560
Trc=20460528
Trfc=1278768
Trcd=79920
Trrd=4992
Tras=304
Trp=16
Twr=0
Twcl=0
Twtr=800
Trtw=48