Crucial MX500 4TB SSD will not fill up past 280GB despite adding data?

Soldato
My SSD has 280gb space free, I've downloaded over 150gb the last two days and the SSD still says 280GB. I have been organizing the files inside the SSD so I know they are going to the correct drive.

Anyone know what is going on? Are my old files being overwritten by the new downloaded files causing the drive to remain at 280gb? It goes up and down too 285, 288, 280 etc never under 280GB.

Simpe, Basic, Healthy (Basic Data Partition) 3726.01GB, 283.95gb free. NTFS.

I can only find online people reporting their SSD filling up for no reason, but this one is not filling up, downloaded another 35gb and it still says 283GB free

Last edited:
Where did you purchase the drive from? Did the seller have good reviews? The drive is fake, faulty or it's been formatted incorrectly.

Try the entering the following commands from command prompt:
  1. diskpart
  2. list disk
It should show you the size of the disk and free space. You may need to resize the partition if there's too much free space.

Simpe, Basic, Healthy (Basic Data Partition) 3726.01GB, 283.95gb free. NTFS.

I can only find online people reporting their SSD filling up for no reason, but this one is not filling up, downloaded another 35gb and it still says 283GB free
That sounds like you have 283Gb of unpartitioned space rather than the space on the actual volume/drive letter.

Post a picture of both your disk management and also your "My Pc" explorer window that shows e.g. drive C, drive D etc

I would use diskpart to nuke the partition then re-create it in disk management. Yes, you will lose any data you've copied across but it's better to do it now than later.

My SSD has 280gb space free, I've downloaded over 150gb the last two days and the SSD still says 280GB. I have been organizing the files inside the SSD so I know they are going to the correct drive.

Anyone know what is going on? Are my old files being overwritten by the new downloaded files causing the drive to remain at 280gb? It goes up and down too 285, 288, 280 etc never under 280GB.

Forget the free space, how much space have you actually used? Use a tool like windirstat or space sniffer etc.

7% "free" space. hmm. that ssd is what i would call 'full'.

cannot say with any technical expertise, but from what ive heard recommended. you should have some unallocated space on ssd's. you dont want them to be too full. they need something like some scratch space to be able to read and write properly (or somesuch).

anywho. i think it has something to do with the disk being 'close to' full.

all my ssd's have 10% ++ of unallocated/overprovisioning.

===on the other hand, i could be completely wrong :-)
if it was me i would shrink your existing volume / drive to create unallocated space. and get some more ssd drive space (get another drive) to add capacity to your storage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom