1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CUDA programming question

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by Cromulent, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Cromulent

Mobster

I have an Nvidia 1080Ti in my main computer which is currently running Linux. I also have an old 980Ti in a computer that doesn't need such a powerful graphics card. I was thinking of getting a really cheap graphics card to replace the 980Ti in the old computer and then putting the 980Ti in the same computer as the 1080Ti.

Would I be able to use both the 1080Ti and the 980Ti in the same computer? Would that result in better CUDA and AI performance?

2. AHarvey

Sgarrista

I've not heard of CUDA but it looks interesting, what are you using it for?

I have no idea if CUDA will be able to use 2 different cards in a single machine, it'll be interesting to find out though.

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-faq
    Yes to multiple GPU's but no mention of mode;

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36758522/cuda-multiple-gpus-all-gpus-the-same-model
    Confirms they can be different.

Not sure on performance though but I guess it depends how you've written the code. One would assume that more is better in this case regardless of them being different.

3. Cromulent

Mobster

I want to do some AI stuff. Plus I just switched over to Linux from Windows 10 and one of my pet projects was doing GPU passthrough to a Windows 10 virtual machine and for that you need two GPUs (one for the host and one for the guest) so I thought I might as well use the 980Ti when I wasn't running a virtual machine.

I know you can accelerate some AI tasks using CUDA so I thought I'd get into that field a little bit as I don't know much about it.

Thanks for the links. That makes me feel better about doing this. I dread to think what my electricity bill is going to be though :).