Cumulative updates reinstalling removed components question?

Associate
Anyone know if this happens on latest Enterprise or Education? I'm seeing some sources saying that after 1809 this happens. Only one left that doesn't behave like this is LTSC.

This seems extraordinary to me. How do corporate & educational deployments deal with this, if so? They mostly use Enterprise & Education editions, not LTSC ...

The prospect of having to remove everything again via PowerShell (if they don't disable that too), or reinstalling again via an ISO modifier every time .... I think I'd rather just give up playing games and using software that needs W10 entirely :(

Please someone say it ain't so?

Man of Honour
At work we've resorted to using an external company who are doing the work of building images periodically how we need them so there isn't any unexpected surprises in a production environment.

Quite frankly MS are either completely out of touch or being dicks when it comes to the wider quality of life experience for end users over the spectrum of the user base - I'm not sure which is worse.

You will periodically after awhile have to either go in and redo/tweak a lot of stuff again or wait until 3rd party software (such as shutup10, etc.) has updated to deal with any significant changes since the last release if appropriate, etc.

Associate
OP
So you're confirming that after 1809, Education & Enterprise CUs force back in all the components you've removed?

Tbh I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner on Home & Pro, but this has to be the best way of getting IT departments to advocate a move off of Windows I've ever seen ...

I'd love to use LTSC, but it has none of the recent scheduler updates, and next update is apparently 2021.

Man of Honour
So you're confirming that after 1809, Education & Enterprise CUs force back in all the components you've removed?

I have no idea about the educational variants. Definitely in a business environment there have been instances of that kind of behaviour with updates. They got taken to task for it a bit awhile back due to businesses getting silly games, etc. put back in - but it seems to be creeping back in again.

EDIT: From a quick Google supposedly it no longer happens on Enterprise variants of the OS but not sure how much I believe that - my main dealing with such variants is through work though where they deploy their own customised image now.

Associate
OP
There doesn't really seem to be any definitive information on the subject. Some people are saying it happens on all versions of Windows of 19xx and 20xx vintage, except LTSC (latest is still 1809). Some are saying it doesn't happen on Enterprise or Education at all.

Microsoft of course don't have any information about it, as you'd expect.

What ever happens, if I do end up using it long term, there's no way I'll be doing more than gaming or some photo editing. Everything else can stay on Linux. They just can't be trusted any longer.

Soldato
I like the way they keep turning on all the spying and make it harder to do a clean install and avoid getting a Microsoft account

Associate
OP
I kind of expect that ... but to have Windows Store, Cortana and all the other crap reinstalled after every cumulative update, even on Enterprise or Education SKUs, plus the usual chance that the whole installation goes **** up .... that's just total BS.

I can't imagine ever using W10 on a main general purpose system.

Man of Honour
Wish I could use the 10 image they are rolling out at work on my home systems in the situations where I'm having to use 10 - someone has really gone to town on it - around 1/3rd the normal background processes, lots of stuff locked down like updates, UI largely has the "classic" look with even a bunch of custom icons that the company doing the provisioning seem to have produced in-house which look so much nicer than the stock ones.

Associate
OP
You can roll your own with NTLite or WinReducer or various other tools. The problem is that if it's not LTSC you likely won't keep your changes.

There was talk of the scheduler updates and other goodies being pushed to LTSC. That clearly isn't going to happen though.

Tbh though, I'm doubtful that updated W10 even on Zen 2 will outperform decrapped LTSC until you exceed 32 threads.

Though that could change with Zen 3 ...

Soldato
I kind of expect that ... but to have Windows Store, Cortana and all the other crap reinstalled after every cumulative update, even on Enterprise or Education SKUs, plus the usual chance that the whole installation goes **** up .... that's just total BS.I can't imagine ever using W10 on a main general purpose system.

Why are you uninstalling the store or cortana, you should be controlling them via group policy to disable them if you don't want them. I've not seen any of the components I actually removed from our enterprise 1809 image reinstall themselves when we apply the regular monthly cumulative updates.

Feature updates used to reinstall things, and may still do, but I would be doing the same process on the 1909 image to remove what we don't want and then using that to apply the upgrade. In that case I would not expect anything unexpected to reinstall when we upgrade to that.

Associate
OP
Why are you uninstalling the store or cortana, you should be controlling them via group policy to disable them if you don't want them. I've not seen any of the components I actually removed from our enterprise 1809 image reinstall themselves when we apply the regular monthly cumulative updates.

Feature updates used to reinstall things, and may still do, but I would be doing the same process on the 1909 image to remove what we don't want and then using that to apply the upgrade. In that case I would not expect anything unexpected to reinstall when we upgrade to that.

You completely missed the point.

a) 1809 does not force reinstallation of removed components on Enterprise or Education.

b) It's a pretty big deal having potentially to roll a new image for every CU ...

Back
Top Bottom