Current phone scam going on (California/america hacking your BT line), what's the end game?

Associate
Phone number: 01280753935

It's a prerecorded female American accent saying your BT line will be shut down due to a hacking infiltration from California. They then give you some options to press. Hanged up after that.

It's not a bad attempt since most normal users probably have BT or are worried enough to keep listening.

I still don't get what the end game is for these crooks. The only thing I can think of is you press a number which then connects you to a real human who then asks for your credit card details or something to make sure it's you. Is it possible for when you press an option they can somehow charge you premium rates for the call?

Caporegime
I suspect it'll then connect them with someone who will try and get them to download TeamViewer or grant them access to the PC to install keyloggers etc.

Associate
Well, one of my friend has became one of the victim of such scams, and few days after the crooks got access to his computer, his credit card started to get used by another people (maybe the scammers). They could get any information stored on your computer, ID, credit card details, etc. Now I never answer those calls. I sometimes look up the numbers on sites and just block the numbers without even talking to them.

Soldato
Connection fees. When you press a number you are technically accepting connection charges and then you will find a big connection fee on your bill. Can't remember how it works exactly but the scammers make money off this.

Back
Top Bottom