Current popular media player/library (Anything better than MediaMonkey 5/2024?)

Soldato
I currently use MediaMonkey for my music player and media library. I don't like the current version (5.1/2024) as much as MediaMonkey 4. I have been considering switching back to MM 4.1 but I thought I might ask what people are using on their computers? Is there anything out there that's being actively developed/maintained that will both play my MP3 collection but also let me manage my library that's better than MediaMonkey?

I got fed up of MediaMonkey and switched to MusicBee a couple of years ago.

Feels very similar in terms of functionality and look / feel, but without the endless updates, resets and licence faff that was frustrating me about MM.

JRiver MC user for many years but this year I switched to ROON as it seamlessly merges my sizeable FLAC collection with Qobuz, which gives me a ridiculous choice of music to listen to.

Absolutely JRiver all the way. (User / beta tester since MC12)

Mentioned this in the essential software thread, but nothing else I've ever found will run a library of comparable size.
~600,000 files in the library at the minute. Probably about 60% images, 20% audiobooks, 20% TV, films etc. plus the music too.

It takes a little setting up, and you need to tag your files properly to take advantage of the power, but there's literally nothing else like it.

I got fed up of MediaMonkey and switched to MusicBee a couple of years ago.

Feels very similar in terms of functionality and look / feel, but without the endless updates, resets and licence faff that was frustrating me about MM.
I'll give MusicBee a go. I think I tried it a while ago but I think it was when I was using MM4 so wasn't tempted to switch. MM5 has been a big disappointment for me.
JRiver MC user for many years but this year I switched to ROON as it seamlessly merges my sizeable FLAC collection with Qobuz, which gives me a ridiculous choice of music to listen to.
ROON? Haven't heard of that. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
Absolutely JRiver all the way. (User / beta tester since MC12)

Mentioned this in the essential software thread, but nothing else I've ever found will run a library of comparable size.
~600,000 files in the library at the minute. Probably about 60% images, 20% audiobooks, 20% TV, films etc. plus the music too.

It takes a little setting up, and you need to tag your files properly to take advantage of the power, but there's literally nothing else like it.
JRriver - Do you have to purchase a licence or is it optional?

JRiver is paid, although does have a fully functional 30-day trial.

Essentially, as a new user, you're looking at a ~$70 purchase. (Coupons are often available on the forum to take that down a bit)
They release a new major version approximately once a year, at a cost of ~$20 to upgrade.

Upgrades are optional, and any purchased version will keep working quite happily. It's somewhat closer to a subscription model for new features than a requirement to upgrade.

---

Basically, it seems to come down to what you want.
JRiver is for what I'd describe as local file hoarders, and you've got to have the will to properly setup custom tags, views and your database for it to be worth the cost.

Integration to streaming services is spotty at best.
Similarly, it's not pretty, and there have been complaints about that for years. They've made some progress on that, but nothing earth-shattering, and I don't see that coming any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom