Current Rig.... maybe due an upgrade?

Associate
Hello!
I've been on this site for a brave while but mostly lurk in the shadows haha, so thought I would post a thread of my current PC.
My current setup, I built myself around two years ago now, which is the first build I've done this since my old Q6600 build many, many moons ago.

Nothing wrong with it, I would like to add a second monitor but unless there is a cheap decent spec'd one I'll make do with one for now.

My setup is:

CASE - Some random server case I found in work
CPU – AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
RAM – 32GB
GPU – NVIDIA RTX 3070
STORAGE – Samsung M.2, 2TB / WD HDD, 4TB

Also have a decent gaming laptop which is:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800H
RAM - 8GB
GPU - NVIDIA RTX 3060
STORAGE - M.2 500GB

The only reason I'm thinking of upgrading my computer in the near future is because my grandad's computer is on its last legs. Rather than him having to buy a new one, I would like to be able to just give him my current setup and make myself something new.

However with cash being a bit tight I might be best to keep my own computer for myself and build him something half decent at a low cost.
Any advice welcome, would I be better nearly bankrupting myself to build a new PC and give my grandad my current one? Or is my PC good enough for myself for the next few years and should I just try and build a budget PC for my grandad?

Cheers.

Associate
OP
Not sure your grandad would have much use for a 3070 :D Just build him a budget PC or get one of those mini PCs.
Haha you'd be surprised, he was annoyed that his current computer was running slow when he was playing computer games. In fairness he doesn't need the latest GPU, etc. but he would play the odd game and also uses demanding architect programs. The likes of a 20XX GPU would be grand, I'd imagine.

Soldato
What is the spec of his computer? Depending on his internals you might get away with just giving him your GPU and buying yourself a new one, otherwise you're looking at around £1200 to get a new system worth the investment.

Associate
OP
What is the spec of his computer? Depending on his internals you might get away with just giving him your GPU and buying yourself a new one, otherwise you're looking at around £1200 to get a new system worth the investment.
I'd need to check when I'm next there but it isn't a good system at all, I'd say its nearly 10 years old.
I could maybe buy a cheapish board + CPU bundle to get something sorted and like you suggest get myself a new GPU and give him the 3070.

Do you think it would cost as much as £1200 to build a half way decent machine?

Soldato
I'd need to check when I'm next there but it isn't a good system at all, I'd say its nearly 10 years old.
I could maybe buy a cheapish board + CPU bundle to get something sorted and like you suggest get myself a new GPU and give him the 3070.

Do you think it would cost as much as £1200 to build a half way decent machine?

This is roughly the minimum that I'd consider to be worthwhile if building a new rig to replace your current:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,267.85 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

The fact it's M-ATX is simply a preference on my end, you might save a little with a standard ATX setup but it wouldn't be much. Assuming you wanted to remain with Nvidia GPU wise, you'd be looking at a 4070 Super for around the same price as the 7900GRE, if you can get a very good deal on a 7800XT (I'd say in the region of £450) it might be worth taking to help rein costs in a tad.

If your grandfathers PSU is up to snuff, giving him your GPU + a platform update using your CPU such as the following could be a more cost effective solution, example below:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £349.97 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Then spend the £450-550 depending on a new GPU for yourself and give him your old 5800X, install the 5700X3D into your PC, it would be faster in many games (depending on the type) than the 5800X. There's some titles out there that massively benefit from 3D cache, whatever you opt for however make sure both your and his PSU's are up to the task. Alternatively you could pick up a 5600 for £100-120 or so and give that to your grandfather, it'd work out cheaper overall but end up being less of an upgrade for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom