• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Currently what is the best CPU for FPS gaming?

Associate
As the title suggests, without any money constraint or gfx card. What is the best CPU for graphics intense fps gaming?

Caporegime
The best on the market the 3970x.
Not that you'd buy it for just FPS gaming.

Too broad a question tbh, CPU performance is CPU performance, the best CPU will continue to be the best CPU regardless of whether or not it's not being used anywhere near its maximum, I mean in Z game with X or Y GPU set up you'd notice no difference over a lesser CPU, except you'd have saved about 300 quid.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Question isn't really specific enough.
You say no financial constraints.
Well in that case it is easy.

Socket 2011 MB loaded up with VC's and a 6 core 39xx.
Doesn't matter what the game is that would be the best.

Note:
Spending more on dual socket boards wouldn't help with gaming as the clock speeds and therefore the single threaded performance would be lower.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Okay to be more specific. If a gamer interested in buying a CPU that could handle the heavy processing demands of modern games such as Planetside 2. What CPU would you recommend as the current best CPU for that task. Excluding only the insanely expensive creations you can think of. So being realistic to a general consumer who wasn't interested in saving money just getting the best performance.

Caporegime
Okay to be more specific. If a gamer interested in buying a CPU that could handle the heavy processing demands of modern games such as Planetside 2. What CPU would you recommend as the current best CPU for that task. Excluding only the insanely expensive creations you can think of. So being realistic to a general consumer who wasn't interested in saving money just getting the best performance.

As PCZ says, it's Ivybridge, either the i5 or i7 depending upon how much you're willing to spend with a Z77 board and overclock.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
For gaming there is little difference between them.
The odd title my take advantage of HT but generally they can be considered equal in terms of gaming performance.

However you won't always be gaming.
Then you will be glad you paid the extra for the i7.

The i7 has a larger L3 cache 8Mb, the i5 has 6Mb.
The i7 has HT the i5 doesn't.

Some APPS take advantage of HT and perform considerably quicker.
Generally media creation and encoding.

On a workstation the extra threads of the i7 allow more apps to be open at once without noticeable slow downs.
Usefull if you want to use VM's
Generally smoother performance for a heavily used PC.

So worth the extra ?
I would say yes.

Associate
OP
For gaming there is little difference between them.
The odd title my take advantage of HT but generally they can be considered equal in terms of gaming performance.

However you won't always be gaming.
Then you will be glad you paid the extra for the i7.

The i7 has a larger L3 cache 8Mb, the i5 has 6Mb.
The i7 has HT the i5 doesn't.

Some APPS take advantage of HT and perform considerably quicker.
Generally media creation and encoding.

On a workstation the extra threads of the i7 allow more apps to be open at once without noticeable slow downs.
Usefull if you want to use VM's
Generally smoother performance for a heavily used PC.

So worth the extra ?
I would say yes.

In that case would this be the best i7 to go for? - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-391-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=1672

Man of Honour
As the title suggests, without any money constraint or gfx card. What is the best CPU for graphics intense fps gaming?

Probably the i7 3770k

I don't think there are any games that will use all the cores/threads of an i7 3960/70x and the 3770k has a slightly better individual core/thread performance. Having said that the SB-E CPUs overclock higher so its about even.

So best all round taking price into consideration = i7 3770k.

Back
Top Bottom