Custom fan extentions

Soldato
I've made a few but don't think I ever used a tutorial.

It's fairly simple really. Female connector from motherboard/fan controller to a male connector with some wire in the middle.

Splits can be at the connector (hard) or mid section (easy).

The most complicated fan assembly I made was this one...

It takes PWM from graphics card, pipes it off to two fan connectors which get their power from motherboard and have their own tach feedbacks. I used it to drive a 140mm PWM fan on my old HD6950 and also a rear 120mm PWM Akasa Apache for a while. I didn't have any 4 pin PWM conectors so cobbled together 4 pin connectors out of a 3pin and a single 2.54mm pitch header.

This was done way before orange stuff became popular. :)

grfx-pwm-cable.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've made a few but don't think I ever used a tutorial.

It's fairly simple really. Female connector from motherboard/fan controller to a male connector with some wire in the middle.

Splits can be at the connector (hard) or mid section (easy).

The most complicated fan assembly I made was this one...

It takes PWM from graphics card, pipes it off to two fan connectors which get their power from motherboard and have their own tach feedbacks. I used it to drive a 140mm PWM fan on my old HD6950 and also a rear 120mm PWM Akasa Apache for a while. I didn't have any 4 pin PWM conectors so cobbled together 4 pin connectors out of a 3pin and a single 2.54mm pitch header.

This was done way before orange stuff became popular. :)

grfx-pwm-cable.jpg

How did you actually connect the wires in the parts where they where spliced together? Did you just twist them and add some tape or did you solder it with heatshrink?

Soldato
I used whatever method was appropriate for the components I had to hand at the time.

I did have some heat shrink so used that rather than tape.

I soldered rather than twisted wires as soldering is a far more secure method of connection. Twisting is likely to come undone at some point. For the sake of a few tens of pounds a soldering iron is a essential purchase if you want to do anything with bits of wire and connectors, and it'll last many years. Heat shrink is cheap.

Cable ties to secure.

A mixture of solder connectors and terminal connector housings. I used pointy pliers to crimp and a dab of solder to secure.

I had bought some orange sleeve for my case so utilised some of that to complete the job.

I had bits of wire hanging around.

If I was buying the components from scratch I'd buy the colour wire I wanted, sleeve as desired, 4 pin or 3 pin fan connectors and terminals, heat shrink to insulate.

Back
Top Bottom