Custom floating desk build - rexehuk

Soldato
OP
Tacced in my networking cable (been loose for a year)

sP94A.jpg

Cable system is in place under the desk... by sheer chance it fits my power blocks perfectly :cool:.

r7fmf.jpg

Unfortunately there isn't enough clearance for the plugs themselves at the back end, so I will most likely mount these to the desk or to the back plate.

Currently have the machine setup to some degree, just working out there to fix stuff now, also where I will mount the switch, not sure if to have it showing or not.

Here's a sneak peak of the finished topside.

9frgU.jpg

More to follow in a few hours! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You could mount the plug adapter either on the back support or upside down under the desk. Then use those brackets (currently holding the plug adapter) to support any training wires.

Also, if it were me, I would consider channeling the network cable into the wall and have a faceplate on it.

Great work so far though.

Yeah I will mount them to desk or back plate, not decided yet.

As for the face plate, not really an option as I'll have to cut the the walls out, a big job. On top of that the cable isn't solid core (runs through a plasterboard partition into adjoining room into router).

Machine is all set up now, but no pics for you! I'll post them when I'm happy with the cable management underneath, although its pretty much invisible already.

Soldato
OP
Will try get some setup shots done later in the week. Still need to fix the holes covers into the desk permanently, but I fear that the desk may have to come off to do that (which means re-doing all my cable management).

I may give injection a go and see how it turns out, but I think silicone perhaps wont half the circular force of closing the hole covers... May need epoxy resin or something similarly strong.

Soldato
OP
The finished product

Never posted a finished pic of the whole desk... so here is one many months down the line haha.

346vx8y.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Tidy up those wires and junk under the desk! Or get some draws or something!

Nice project log though, looking good.

Haha the majority of wires are done, few stragglers there for the extension leads though. As for drawers I have no need. Perhaps I can tidy it up during the easter holidays.

Significant storage!
25um7hs.jpg

Soldato
OP
Looks really good, did you consider rounding off the right side so it didnt stick out as it does?

impressive build.

Is on my todo list... Wanted to wrap it and round it, that means removing desk from wall, call the cabling etc.

I'm going to get the sub and printer off the floor, perhaps move my sub to the other side and raise the printer under my server on a ledge coming out of the wall.

Soldato
OP
Im looking at doing the same but i have a perfect void between 2 brick walls and a wardrobe edge, 1.55m Have you had any drooping in the surface since installed? Im looking at using a similar surface also.

No drooping, there isn't really that much weight in the middle as monitors are wall mounted. Main weight is on left and right sides where servers and pc are.

Any weight put on it is by myself, and the front has a mighty steel bar supporting it... not a chance of drooping!

From memory.... desk £80, Steel bar £20, extra wood £10-20, bolts £5?

Most expensive things are my chrome grommets which cost me a fair bit each (prices a few pages back).

Very nice indeed. That socket needs changing for a chrome one though. A big change for the better.

Lol next on my list, I promise. Also will grab some trunking to cable manage properly and out of sight.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dw, I could do that!
I will take pics of my dads desk :)
It's like yours, before I even saw that, but MUCH smaller!
Where do you get the cable management?
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30198028/
Was thinking of this :)

Cable management consists of:

I still have a good bunch of cables in the left hand corner, these are mainly networking cables as I have 4 cat5e in use at present on this desk alone (soon to be 5).

Might just get some trunking to hide the Mains socket connections up to the main holders and on the left side for networking.

Ideally I'd like to run DATA/Mouse/Keyboard/USB hub through a different trunk than all my power cables to reduce noise.

Soldato
OP
Could you link me to the table top you used?
Thanks
Also, how much did it cost in total?
Also, where do you get that thing to cut the hole for the grommet?

Hmm in total £0 as I sold my other desk for it.

Probably like: 150 all in. Grommets ... maybe more :p

That is a circular cutting bit, bought it also and had an arbor already, you will need a powerful drill to use one the size I had (80mm).

Soldato
OP
Project is almost finalised now... some minor cable management to do (TV vertical chrome D-Line), and to tidy cabling from networking equipment at bottom left (not thought of a method to do this yet).

Observant people will see a new acquirement :D.

YtCdx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom