Custom garage workbench

Man of Honour
I have a corner of my garage that was once semi-useful but has been transformed into a crap collection area. I want to repurpose it and install a sturdy workbench that will make best use of the space and give me a useful working area. For those of you who have made your own workbenches, your tips, tricks, lessons learned etc. would be most appreciated.

As you can see from the pictures, there is currently half of a shelving unit which was being used as a workbench. It wasn’t very good because it is too shallow and due to the metal construction it would rebound and bounce back when I was doing any hammering. I’m going to pair it up with the other half and use it as another set of shelves at the other side of the garage.

I was hoping to build the bench into the corner in an ‘L’ shape, maybe using the smaller part of the ‘L’ on the left to install the bench grinder or my vice.

So what materials should I use for the frame and the top? I hated the shelving unit because the metal construction meant there was no give or absorption when I was hammering, meaning it would rebound back and cause stuff on the bench to jump around. I was thinking that a sturdy wooden frame secured to the floor and wall would have enough give in it to absorb energy. Thoughts?

Considerations:
  • Power is only available at the moment to the right of the area.
  • The garage walls are single skin. They are not on the windward side but some minor moisture ingress is to be expected.
  • My current set of fixed tools will be a bench grinder and a vice. I may get a bench drill if the need arises.
NkCvlmv.jpg

KhzdViS.jpg

Thanks.

Soldato
Get some old kitchen units off Facebook for next to nowt, add a bit of bracing and you're good to go.

Especially if the old kitchen comes with knackered worktop.

Soldato
I made this years ago (2014) - simply made a top out of garden timber wood (including some used for concrete formers) glued together. Then made legs with a mortice joint backed up by a screw. Just used a plane, saw and chisels.

4TixuRb.jpg

And here you have it:
Ma9Osw0.jpg

I've still got it (plus a few drill holes). If I was to add anything it would be a wood vice (it has been designed to take one hence the weird overhang).

The overhang around the entire thing is deliberate so that I can clamp stuff to it.

Only thing I would possibly add is a slot in back panel that can be removed if needed - stops things rolling down the back.

Soldato
Nice looking sturdy bench there @NickK. Looks like you need to make a smaller one for your pilar drill though! :D

@Scuzi I have a mobile bench (800mm x 1200mm) that I got from work, it's great for most things but it is too tall when I have my vice clamped to it (it's a lab bench so designed for working on a lab chair). The wheels lock and if I wanted it to be rigid I could fix it to the wall with a few brackets. Anyway, I often find that whenever I move it to the corner of my garage, it gets moved away very quickly as it really does restrict what you can put on it. Just thought I would mention it. I personally would put it fruther along your garage if you can, and perhaps have some twinslot shelving above it to give you the storage you need?

Back
Top Bottom