Custom Loop Guide - How to Watercool your PC

Soldato
This thread needs a serious overhaul, especially for hardline kits.
I concur with the above statement. Thought I was going to read up a bit about watercooling but thread is a tad on the old side. And the OP hasn't been around since 2013, so maybe a whole new thread ?? Although it is understandable that doing that would be quiet an effort I'm guessing.

Associate
Hey guys. Thinking about getting into water cooling. Never tried it before. The recommendation in one of the older guides is to use soft 7/16mm tubing ? and 1/2 nickel fittings ? Is this correct.

Also if i am to use soft tubing i am guessing soft tubing compression fittings are important over the hard line fittings.

Also which coolant that is yellow or blue pre mixed can i just pour straight into a res ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys. Thinking about getting into water cooling. Never tried it before. The recommendation in one of the older guides is to use soft 7/16mm tubing ? and 1/2 nickel fittings ? Is this correct.

Also if i am to use soft tubing i am guessing soft tubing compression fittings are important over the hard line fittings.

Also which coolant that is yellow or blue pre mixed can i just pour straight into a res ?

Largely a matter of look your after. 13/10 is pretty common for most people, with those wanting a thicker look opting for 16/10 or something like that. One thing to keep in mind, do try to stick to same brand, can be some slight nuances between tubing and say fittings or double check cross compatibility. Usually it should be fine but know some people have been caught out.

Soft tubing and hard tubing compression fittings are different. You will need to make sure if your going soft tubing, you get soft tuning compression fittings also.

Yes, plenty of fluid is premixed and available in bottles or in other cases get the distilled water and add in the colour concentrate.

Associate
Hey thanks for that information. I have a H500M case. Just some more advice please.

Would the following be a good match ?

EK Coolstream SE 360 Rad,
EK Velocity DA-RGB Nickel + Plexi,
Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5 PWM D-RGB / reservoir combo - acetal
EK STC Classic 10/13mm compression fittings,
EK Duraclear Tubing clear 16/11mm,
EK Varder Evo 120ER RGB,
EK Cryofuel Solid Azure Blue 1L Premix

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey thanks for that information. I have a H500M case. Just some more advice please.

EK Varder Evo 120ER RGB,

Jamie, please start a new thread.

Associate

EK Varder Evo 120ER RGB,

As stated below, start a new thread, but just incase you were about to purchase your list above: the tubing and fittings don't match (16/12 fittings for that tubing). Also that reservoir is really tall and might be a struggle to fit in many cases (I don't know your case model).

Soldato
Rather than make a new thread thought I would as here.

Anyone know what size screws I need to attack fans to the rad. Seem to have lost a load of them :(

Soldato
One of them is a rx360 I think. But not 100% on the other.

I'll just have to get them and not force them if they are wrong
Yeah don't force because you'll be retapping the thread as you go. It should just wind in really easily until it gets tight. Don't over tighten either.

Soldato
Note that 6-32 is standard case screws like a PCIe slot cover screw or 3.5" HDD mounting screw.

M3 is a 2.5" drive or motherboard screw but most radiators don't use M3, they use M4 or 6-32.

You can test the above and if it's not M3 or 6-32 you'll need to source M4 which are usually not used anywhere else in PCs.

Soldato
Note that 6-32 is standard case screws like a PCIe slot cover screw or 3.5" HDD mounting screw.

M3 is a 2.5" drive or motherboard screw but most radiators don't use M3, they use M4 or 6-32.

You can test the above and if it's not M3 or 6-32 you'll need to source M4 which are usually not used anywhere else in PCs.

So any M4 30mm screws should be good?

Then to mount it to the case 5mm or are they a little longer ?

Last edited:
Soldato
So any M4 30mm screws should be good?

Then to mount it to the case 5mm or are they a little longer ?
Yes I think 30mm and 35mm are standard (depending on if going through fans and case, or just fans). 5mm sounds right but double check the screws aren't going to puncture any radiator tubes when tightened. If the rads have a protective plate behind the screw hole that's ideal.

Back
Top Bottom