custom radiator mounting

Associate
Hi guys

quick question for WC ppl out there. I'm about to have my zalman case roof panel cut to mount my corsair h50 up there. I thought it might be a good idea to future proof and have the hole cut for a 240mm rad... If the h50 doesn't cut it ( looks / application yes - cooling - maybe).

I've seen some templates of competitors sites, scan around and have a look. It's the 15mm spacing that gets me. Question is do the rads have mounting holes for 120mm fans to attach to them like the h50. If so can you mount through the case and fan and onto the rad?

Plan was to make a cut out based on 2 120 fans side by side with appropriate screw holes. The templetes I've found seem to suggest this is ok but they don't have measurements on. I won't be using the templates themselves - will have a custom oval cut out to match the intake on the front of my case me thinks.

hope this makes sense! It does to me.

ta

craig

Associate
OP
ok maybe got it? 15 mm is the centre hole spacing between each 120mm fan mounting points. having looked at some google images of all the rads they all look like they'll mount like the h50.

therefore If i make my mounting points 2 120mm fan sized the centre spacing needs to be at 15mm to use with a 15mm spaced rad. I know I'm answering myself, just would like some confirmation.

ta.

Soldato
15mm spacing does refer to the minimum distance between the two fans. So the holes in a line are 105mm then 15mm then 105mm apart. The idea is to have the fans just about touching.

Thermochill used to use 24.5mm spacing. I think feser did as well. Don't know why.

Feser offer a 3D model of their radiators which you may find helpful.

Ovals are not that easy to cut and will obscure some of the airflow, are you cutting this by hand? I would probably go for a rectangle with semicircles on the ends, not as pretty but more functional and probably quieter. So two 110mm diameter (or whatever fits your fans), centres separated by the amount required to space the fan mounting holes correctly, and two lines tangental to both circles. I'm not so articulate, if you haven't cut it up by tonight I'll send a picture your way. You might find you like the design more after all, especially if you're cutting this by hand.

Associate
OP
jon,

thanks very much for the help. I didn't mean ovals, the front of my gt900 is rectangles with semi circular ends.

pic will be great, i'll check feser 3d model out too. I'm not cutting by hand. A good friend runs his own engineeriong / tooling shop and is doing it, probably tomorrow but it'll wait. He's also offered to anodize parts for me when he sends his stuff out. Says it'll cost less than his miimum charge to do a full case in bits so he'll do stuff when he sends work in.

Might google later to see what ppl pay for this and start a little side line.... at cost for forum members via the mm if wanted and allowed.

Soldato
AC ryan is probably the way to go, but what I had in mind earlier was this:

24g9m48.jpg

with 120mm grills over the top. Obviously this only uses four of the mounting holes on the radiator/two on the H50, so a more cunning design is probably worthwhile. I'm using 130mm diameter holes based on a fan I measured here, you could just cut these holes and not bother with the tangent to the circles.

Such things are available online already, powdercoating is the really popular one. Not sure what the mods would make of it, but I think it would be alright. If he's milling it/laser cutting then you can probably have any design you like, but simpler is always appreciated.

Cheers

Associate
OP
thanks again Jon, you've saved me drawing it up, it's pretty much exactly what I was thinking but i'm thinking of having all 8 mounting holes so the blow hole looks like a figure eight and fabricating a custom grill so it 'matches' the stock one on the front of my case.

i'll start to make tentative enquiries about the anodising... it would be helpful to find out how much people pay commercially to have it done - my friend isn't the best with numbers... he pays an accountant to do that.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
here are some pics of the new blow hole in the roof panel. I'm going to touch up with paint rather than re anodising this small amount. All I need now is some dang honeycomb grill material. AR Ryan is out of stock everywhere here and stateside :( Will prob just put it together without the grill for now, esy enough disassembly, as I want to use the thing.

3997909422_c99a07af64.jpg

3997908702_48554de26f.jpg

3997148081_5296fe53d5.jpg

lastly with 2 scythe's mocked in place, thanks to Alistair for these and Ian at www.modelfixings.co.uk for the socket head screws in 60mm lengths.

3997147411_fd1a2cc5d0.jpg

when I can get some grill I'll post finished pics.

finished pics in my build log here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15082190#post15082190

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom