Custom RGB Lighting Project Idea

Associate
OP
Photo isnt working.
Interested in this.
How are you planning on making this? I have a similar setup ive been meaning to make into a nice nodejs setup but never got it going(using an arduino and pi).

Should be working now :) silly dropbox links

Basically ill be using an arduino nano with its serial communications with a small JAVA or C# app to set the effects ect :)

I quite like the breathing lighting effect. Or heartbeat?

Nice idea, ill add those to the list :D ill probably have a video of those two tomorrow

Associate
Love it, and always good to see Linux getting some love. Nothing more annoying than buying nice things then realising the manufacturer has decided you shouldn't be allowed to use it because you're not using Window$ :p

Unfortunately I've already got the lighting sorted for my current build, but if you put these on sale I would definitely be interested for the next one :)

Associate
OP
Love it, and always good to see Linux getting some love. Nothing more annoying than buying nice things then realising the manufacturer has decided you shouldn't be allowed to use it because you're not using Window$ :p

Unfortunately I've already got the lighting sorted for my current build, but if you put these on sale I would definitely be interested for the next one :)

Don't think I'll sell anything, but the plan is to make the controller code open source as well as the desktop app, that way anyone can make the same setup or even add too it

May even switch to a better controller board

Not much progress today, works been manic before a holiday next week :D

Associate
OP
Added a video of two new effects iv been playing with over the weekend (breathing & heartbeat) to the original post.

Also i have been working on a simple TTY/Serial communication setup to allow the user to select the effect, colours and effect speed at run time. When i get chance ill add some effect storage so the nano will resume the effect after power loss / reboot

So all in all things are going well :D will push some code & instructions to GitHub next week and then start work on the desktop GUI :D

{Edit}

Also looking at getting a stm32f103 based controller board, you can find them for ~£5 in the UK and they have some big advantages vs the arduino nano :

* Full ARM Cortex-M3 based
* 64K flash vs the 32K on the nano
* 72Mhz vs 16Mhz of the nano
* 20K ram vs 2K on the nano

Fun times :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry for the lack of updates the last two weeks (been on holiday).

Hope today ill have some persistent storage working and work starting on the desktop app :D

Associate
OP
Had a quick go at making a simple windows GUI for this, below is what I currently (all works perfectly will, but looks need improving)

Below is a screenshot of what I have currently.

LED_TEST.png

Associate
OP
Update : got some simple EEPROM persistent storage working so the led strip resumes where it left off after a power down :D

On a side note could a mod update the title of this thread to "Project : Custom RGB Lighting" or something similar?

Back
Top Bottom