Custom ROM for my dad's mobile - or alternatives for an 82 year old?

Associate
My dad (82) used to use a Doro 6520 flip phone which we had to replace due to ID Mobile switching off 3G in the future. We have tried a Nokia 105 4G due to them being extremely cheap, but he doesn't get on with it. The Nokia screen is too small, he finds the interface cumbersome and the basic tasks sometimes work, sometimes don't.

I currently have a Pixel 4a 5G which I am going to upgrade. I was thinking about putting a non-stock ROM on there, such as Graphene OS, as he doesn't really want a smart phone. Essentials for him are:

1. Voice calls, including over VOLTE
2. Text SMS and RCS if at all possible, he shouldn't notice the difference!
3. Easy to use alarm clock
4. Easy to use contacts list
5. Nano SIM support ideally
6. Easy to use camera app a bonus

Doesn't need any extra apps, doesn't need Whatsapp or anything like that and doesn't need a web browser. Literally, he just wants an easy to use phone, so I would possibly install Graphene OS, disable data/wifi and uninstall/disable Vanadium. It would be a 'non smart' smartphone, with no ability to install extra apps or go online in any way.

Is this an option, does Graphene OS work without Vanadium or is it needed? If this isn't an option, are there any alternatives (cutdown Lineage OS?) or am I just better off getting him a replacement Doro, something like the new 2800 would do him fine?

Associate
OP
A Doro smartphone?
That's a possibility, as is just getting a new Doro flip phone.

I have a Pixel 4a 5G, in an ideal world I can avoid e-waste and spending more cash, if I can find a suitable custom ROM for it. Maybe Graphene OS or Lineage OS, either pared down as much as they can be, might do the job.

Soldato
Tbh it sounds like you're over-complicating it.

Flatten your Pixel back to stock, decrease the DP setting in the developer settings (if their eyesight is poor) to make everything larger. Then just install a custom launcher that'll allow you to hide apps.

Assuming they're not prone to just clicking things, then this'll probably do and not cost much (assuming you have to pay for the launcher)

Associate
OP
Tbh it sounds like you're over-complicating it.

Flatten your Pixel back to stock, decrease the DP setting in the developer settings (if their eyesight is poor) to make everything larger. Then just install a custom launcher that'll allow you to hide apps.

Assuming they're not prone to just clicking things, then this'll probably do and not cost much (assuming you have to pay for the launcher)
That's a really good idea, thanks. Any launcher recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom