CV advice - Repeating information

Soldato
I'm a software tester and have been for a number of years across a number of companies. The core responsibilities for a tester are common across all these jobs though, i.e. review specifications, create and execute test scripts, raise and re-test defects etc.

Obviously each job has additional and unique responsibilities which I'll outline, but what would you do for things that are common across jobs? I don't want to waste space (and the readers time) by duplicating it across jobs, but I don't want to remove it entirely in case someone thinks I haven't done those things.

Caporegime
I think if you've job hopped a lot or been contracting for say 6 months at a time at various places while carrying out the same job role then I agree and I don't see that there is too much point in repeating what that job role involves, especially if it is something fairly generic.

In the case where you've got a whole bunch of places where you've been a software tester/QA analyst then you might be better off keeping your skills separate and just keeping the experience bit to job titles, company names and dates. I mean if you're talking about say a dozen or so employers then I don't think anyone is going to pay too much attention to reading each individual bit of work experience or at least not the earlier ones. I doubt anyone cares what you did in software tester job #3 10+ years ago when you've had a bunch of other software tester/QA analyst roles since then. If there has been some progression then as far as details are concerned it is the most recent job that is most likely to be relevant as presumably that is where you've got the most responsibility.

Perhaps consider a skills matrix rather than attempting to spread out skills/experience under a bunch of different job titles.

Soldato
Perhaps consider a skills matrix rather than attempting to spread out skills/experience under a bunch of different job titles.

This. Skills, (maybe divided into a couple of different areas) on page 1, employment history giving brief details of the roles (a few lines each, more detail if there's less roles) you had on page 2.

Also a tip I read/heard somewhere - make a 'master copy' CV with ALL your skills on on, in separate sections (I for example have IT Desktop support, Testing & Analysis, Training & Support, and Financial Services) then for certain jobs you can pick which sections are relevant and customise the CV to the job quickly.

Soldato
pop everything you do in your main job and refer back to that when talking about older jobs

CURRENT JOB
Core Details:
x y z
Specific Details:
1 2 3

Last job
See Core details from Current job
Specific details:
4 5 6

etc

Back
Top Bottom