CV critique for an internal promotion?

Soldato
I'd cut down on some of the tech talk in the achievements and pad out anything managerial related, such as "• Ad-hoc management duties with respect to daily sort operations", such as?

You're going for a management position, you need to focus the CV around things such as budgets, motivation, leadership, communication and how you've improved the business. Things such as "• Used Excel to build an improvement to the contingency in the event of a C3 YardSmart failure." are great, but they don't need to know how it works, instead focus on the benefit in time and cost to the company.

Obviously, you've been there long enough to know what this new management job will entail so you need to go through your CV and think how you can tweak each one to meet the criteria for the new job.

Man of Honour
^Some good advice.

I would say:
-Achievements are too wordy and as mentioned focus on why someone at a senior level would care. You can go through the detail if asked about it at interview.
-When you talk about 'will ensure a smooth transition for the other Sort Centres' have any of them reached that point yet which would then allow you to cite them as an example?
-Random word "Experience" at end of 2nd achievement
-Experience section just reads like a job description. Your current employer already knows this, they probably wrote it themselves! Focus on where you have delivered on those responsibilities - where have you added value? Have you consistently exceeded agreed SLAs? How has the business used accurate reporting provided by yourself to improve processes or otherwise gain benefit?
-Do you have any A-levels or GCSEs?
-Think a bit broader than 'sort performance' - you need to articulate where you have demonstrated more traditional management skills e.g. have you mentored or supervised colleagues? Have you held budgetary responsibility, organised staffing rotas etc?

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, wasn't ignoring you too be rude, just been a hectic week!

Turns out from May just gone, internal applicants have to use the same portal as internal, so no CV required.

Still need one really as if I don't get this job or the Transport Supervisor role I just applied for I'll be looking elsewhere. But at least there's no rush and I can take time to build a good good one.

I do have GCSEs and a levels, just didn't think Biology, chemistry and maths a levels would be relevant.

Soldato
I do have GCSEs and a levels, just didn't think Biology, chemistry and maths a levels would be relevant.

Honestly, just put X GCSE's at A-C and 3 A-levels at A-C or whatever the scores where. Mine just has 9 GCSEs and 4 A-levels. After 20 years I don't think the subjects (or the qualifications) are important.

Man of Honour

Doesn't really matter what the subjects are, but if a CV doesn't mention them at all it makes me wonder if the person achieved them or had really bad results, especially as you've included stuff like Level 2 NVQ which is arguably a lower standard than A-levels. Essentially there are certain things I expect to find on a CV and if they aren't there it (rightly or wrongly) sows seeds of doubt.
Bear in mind some HR departments will expect English and Maths GCSEs so despite having years of experience, a MSc and various industry qualifications I still put "including English and Maths"

Back
Top Bottom