CV Critique

Associate
Man of Honour
OP
Sure, do you have the job spec you're applying for?

I do, although apparently the role is a bit more flexible than the profile suggests.

Position: Operations Manager
Number of Hours: 37.5
Context and purpose:
We develop and operate state of the art digital evidence management solutions for Public Safety agencies.
We are currently expanding our portfolio with cloud provisioned Software as a Service solutions. This role is an exciting opportunity to expand cloud services into a rapidly emerging market for managing digital evidence.
NOTE – Successful candidates will need to be security checked to UK police level NPPV3.
Scope:
We are looking for an Operations Manager for our cloud based Evidence Management service. The evidence management service is provided to UK law enforcement agencies (police, crown prosecution service). The Operations Service manager will manage the secure operations team for this service. This team will be responsible for deployment into Azure cloud, and support of the service, working directly with development team, and end user organisations.
You must:
● Be comfortable working as part of a multidisciplinary team.
● Be comfortable working directly with end user customer organisations.
● Be able to communicate effectively, including via phone, email, instant message and video conferencing tools.
Responsibilities:
You will be responsible for:
• Manage the 24x7x365 support process in collaboration with existing NICE customer support teams, including taking escalation calls from customers out of hours and assisting in services work out of hours.
• Assist sales teams with definition of the 'Statement of Work’ (SOW) for customer on boarding.
• Plan and manage the work of the secure operations team including regular operational activities and customer on boarding.
• Ensure quality and security audits are conducted and develop action plans based on findings.
• Monitor and effectively manage the performance of suppliers and third party services.
• Develop appropriate, methods and procedures for deployment and support processes.
• Working with the service product managers to plan for the impact of new services and upgrades.
• Provide leadership to a Support and Devops team engendering an environment where talent is encouraged and developed.
• Liaise with Development Managers regarding deployment and support methods and requirements.
Knowledge and experience:
Must have
• Knowledge of cloud deployed systems, e.g. Microsoft Azure
• Experience deploying and maintaining cloud-hosted systems using automation tools.
• Experience of working with secure systems for UK government and ISO 27001
• Proven track record of project managing or team leading technical teams
• Experience of people-management
• Knowledge of Windows server and client technology
• Experience in documenting Technical Systems/ process
• Efficient, effective and respectful communication skills both with customers and within internal departments. Including;
o Excellent written and spoken English
o Good listener, able to identify and validate assumptions
o Able to use effective questioning to confirm understanding of a customer problem and then provide help to solve it
o Focused and calm under pressure
Nice to have
● Service Management alongside DevOps experience and qualifications as appropriate
● Experience of working in an Agile environment

Man of Honour
OP
I'm a recruiter who covers education so not qualified to discuss content but the layout is clear and it's far easier to read than the majority I look at.

I've got a mate who recruits into IT, could pass it to him to look at if you wanted?

I'm not really looking for a job tbh, but one came up that I thought I should give a chance as it merges interests. Thanks for the feedback anyway.

Man of Honour
It's licence, not license. Instant in-the-bin from me! :p

I'd personally not put my photo on there. All sorts of people read CVs and said reader may have some weird, unspoken prejudice about your appearance.

Font is legible for us geeks but a bit on the small side, perhaps?

Style is so hard but sentences like this in isolation sound odd: "A wide breadth and depth of experience across multiple technologies complements excellent people management, coordination, and communication skills." - although here it's obvious what you mean. Later on you say "I am" etc so perhaps lead this sentence with "I have"?

Maybe have more pronounced paragraph spacing in the Support Technician and Pure Apps sections?

Responsibilities sounds better than 'duties', IMO.

Duties include building, automating, and managing infrastructure on Microsoft Azure, both IaaS based platforms and PaaS components such as AppServices. =
Duties include building, automating and managing infrastructure on Microsoft Azure (both IaaS based platforms and PaaS components such as AppServices).

Scrum Mastery?! Is that well known enough to just drop in there like that? Not my field, mind - I thought you were being jovial about rugby for a sec :p

Oxford commas >< Always look wrong even if permitted... I don't see what they add! On the same lines, "storage, verification" = storage(,) and verification. Whichever version you pick, be consistent." I prefer the following style - "This included support of financial models, multidimensional databases and installation of software on client sites." You do keep flip-flopping on this, even towards the end.

Iteratively? Is this field specific or is their a simpler word that can be used?

Should police be capitalised? Not sure.

requiring understanding of, and..... "understanding of" doesn't add anything as it's implicit.

in the Police = with the police?

My experience in the Police has 'given me a much wider world view'... I know what you mean but some people have certain views of the police so I'd avoid any inference of being pro-police, personally.

Worth adding references available upon request, maybe? Just something you usually see.

Irrespective of all of the above, which are mostly nit-picking, this is easily one of the best CVs I've seen on here. Good stuff!

Caporegime
Good layout, well presented. Aside from including the photo - common on the continent apparently but generally not advised for UK roles. HR tend to want to remove details that can potentially lead to discrimination on an initial screening so things that infer age, disability, race etc.. are sometimes removed, a photo is something they'd generally not welcome.

A potential red flag is 4 years for a BSc, you don't seem to have added a degree classification or put in "(Hons)" after "BSc" either.

Your time period at university seems to overlap with some of your work experience - if you had an industrial placement or perhaps you temporarily interrupted your course for family or medical reasons or whatever else life can throw at you then that's going to perfectly understandable. It just isn't very clear at the moment which bits of work experience were part time? Presumably the job at the school was a mix of both given it overlaps your degree

If you've had some academic issues and are trying not to highlight them then that isn't so good though hopefully your years of work experience since then can make up for it.

Commissario
Remove the photo, adds no weight to a job app.
Your technical skills - how much experience do you have with each? DB administration, what technologies have you used? I wouldn't want to have to read through each job to have to work it out!

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Definitely remove photo, really not needed on a CV.

Also why have you put the length of time you spent at each job. Makes it look like you think whoever reads it can't count how many years/months it is between dates?

Associate
I'm a recruiter who covers education so not qualified to discuss content but the layout is clear and it's far easier to read than the majority I look at.

I've got a mate who recruits into IT, could pass it to him to look at if you wanted?
Any chance your mate could have a look at mine? I'm looking to move into IT from brewing.

Man of Honour
Nice format. I think it's a little over wordy, for example I would simplify your opening line to read like this, subtle but less words and slightly different emphasis. Sorry if too late, just dived in for 2 minutes nose and Nitefly has it covered well.

An infrastructure engineer working on the front line of cloud-native system deployment, driving DevOps cultural change in an Agile environment. Extensive experience across multiple technologies, complemented with excellent people management, coordination and communication skills. Active involvement in operational policing as a volunteer police officer experienced in performing within high pressure situations.

Caporegime
Bit late to the party but it focuses on what your job was, rather than what you did/do if that makes sense. I come from more of a project-oriented background so it's easier to break stuff down, but I think making it clearer that you achieved things in the role would be good.

Back
Top Bottom