Cyborg R.A.T 9

Associate
Dno why anyone would get the rat anyway poor laser and horrible looking mouse.

Get a deathadder, Xai or mx518 depending on your grip

IN YOUR OPINION as i have the rat 9 and i think it is an awsome looking mouse and very ajustable. Precisian aim is an awsome feature and i used it a lot last night and was owning the game (battlefield 3) at times (not all the time as im crap at them lol)

As for the mat issue thats sorted for me with the new mat (hopefully that is) Just purchased the RAZER SCARAB (white) so should be here tomorrow so another night of BF3 with the mouse on the desk lol

I have NOT used the Xai or the mx518 but this rat was a xmas prezzy so im NOT complaining :D

Soldato
IN YOUR OPINION as i have the rat 9 and i think it is an awsome looking mouse and very ajustable. Precisian aim is an awsome feature and i used it a lot last night and was owning the game (battlefield 3) at times (not all the time as im crap at them lol)

As for the mat issue thats sorted for me with the new mat (hopefully that is) Just purchased the RAZER SCARAB (white) so should be here tomorrow so another night of BF3 with the mouse on the desk lol

I have NOT used the Xai or the mx518 but this rat was a xmas prezzy so im NOT complaining :D

The Precision is just a DPI change switch. Plenty of mice have them. For a present though you can't really complain too much.

Associate
Avoid the RAT9 at all costs. The wireless signal is terrible and every few minutes it fails to pick up the mouse tracking for about half a second which gets ridiculously annoying. Also you have to replace the battery at least once a day, which is more annoying than it sounds. The right click button is too sensitive so I ended up clicking it a lot by mistake, just resting my finger on it. As a result of tensing my finger to ensure I didn't accidentally click the button, it got really sore and I couldn't game for more than half an hour at a time. The mouse itself wasn't even particularly comfy or responsive.

I sold it on ebay for a small loss, and bought a Logitech G9x which is now the only mouse I use (I carry it with me if I travel somewhere where I'll be using a PC). I highly reocmmend this, even if it was the same price as the RAT9. Given it's much cheaper, it's a no brainer.

If however, you decide you want to go with a RAT, you'd probably be better with the RAT7. That would at least elliminate the wireless and battery issues. The cable is braided (like the G9x cable) so it doesn't drag as much as a normal rubber cable. Wired mice are better for gaming anyway.

Associate
I have the RAT7, it took a while to get used to it I must admit but love it now. I use it on a boogiebug xl mat and it works fine. It is very sensitive though, any dust or hair will make it freak out. Gives me a little incentive to clean I suppose :)

Associate
just my 2cents - I've got a rat 7 - you get lots of options and I like being to easily flick between dpi settings and see it displayed by the leds on the side. Had it for about 6 months and haven't had a problem.

Mostly I like the look and its as comfy as any other mouse surprisingly

Associate
Oh, I should add that with the RAT9 I often found a little piece of hair/fluff/dust across the sensor makes it go haywire and the mouse randomly jumps aroung the screen until you blow into the sensor. I've never had this problem with any other mouse before or since, even though nothing else has changed (sources of dust etc remain the same).

Associate
well i cant wait to get the mouse pad (razer scarab) will make this RAT 9 complete.

One thing though Why do they include the 2nd wheel ie under the thumb? its so hard to get to in a game and is pointless IMO. Looks good but for me is pointless.

Associate
OP
They are good the new Kinzu V2 and Kana are supposed to be good. I have a Sensei and it is a great mouse. I prefer a simpler more understated mouse (That is why my Sensei has a Xai shell and all the LEDs turned off). Although the RAT does look very customisable but I really don't know how much of an improvement that would be.

How did you get a Sensei with a Xai shell? Custom job you did yourself or are they up for sale?

Soldato
How did you get a Sensei with a Xai shell? Custom job you did yourself or are they up for sale?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18345502&highlight=Dai-sensei

Did it myself, its the same shell and same screws everything so it is very easy but you do need to remember to buy new glides.
The new Fnatic Sensei is basically what I did but I think it looks rubbish.
http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei-fnatic-edition

Have a kinzu sat here too but its a bit poo so will be doing the same with that shell with either a V2 Pro (still waiting on reviews) or making it into a kinzuadder.

Associate
OP
Cheers, I basically got bored of the RAT idea seeing as I came to my sense and realised it was beyond a gimmick and had been looking at the Sensei but was worried about my grip being compromised by the shiny surface. Looks like there's a way past that :)

Soldato
Cheers, I basically got bored of the RAT idea seeing as I came to my sense and realised it was beyond a gimmick and had been looking at the Sensei but was worried about my grip being compromised by the shiny surface. Looks like there's a way past that :)

Sensei is definitely my favourite laser mouse right now followed very closely by the G500 but the Sensei is definitely the best 9500 mouse.

I would perhaps be tempted to wait a few weeks though as there are some interesting looking new mice on their way.

Associate
I can't understand why so many people hate the RAT 9, maybe theres just a huge amount of defective units :p

I've had mine since Overclockers first got them, can't rememeber how long but seem to recall it was Christmas time last year. Anyway, I absolutely love this mouse. It replaced my ancient (but well loved) G7, and I'm glad a bit the bullet and went for it.

I don't suffer any of the sensor issues that many other seem to suffer from, the battery life isn't great, but I've yet to find a wireless mouse with decent enough uptime. Still the batteries are pretty much swappable on the fly, when you're used to them. I also don't suffer from any input lag, I've suffered a few wireless dropouts (maybe 6-7 since purchased), which required fixing by re-connecting the USB cable on the charger. I do play on a desk, without a keyboard (ie. no mouse mat), whether this makes a difference with the sensor problem, I don't know.

Anyway. just to say "Happy RAT owner here"

Associate
Well heres the update on the RAT 9 i got for xmas
It is back in the box and wont be used again as the sensor is so bad it is a pain in the (well you know what)

I used it on the razer scarab mouse mat as the rat 9 would not work with my steal mouse mat and at first it iwas fine then it would not look up and down only side to side so i have to clean the lazer sensors out with a cloth to get it to work again.

i have had issues with the mouse NOT RESPONDING and i have to unplug it and plug it in again which is annoying as the cable is in the back of the rig and i have to get under my desk to do.

I loved the feel and the comfort of the mouse but when you in the middle of a game and the mouse stops responding due to sweat dirt or drivers it is most annoying so now i use the RAZER MAMBA and WOW what a mouse

I have NOT cleaned the sensor ONCE since i had it and i am so happy with the thing its BRILL.

Just dont have presision aim but who needs it as it is spot on when aiming up on peeps

So my advice would be (and it is only my opinion) STAY AWAY FROM THE SAITEK MAD CATZ RAT 9 and get a RAZER MAMBA instead.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had two RAT9s and another should be arriving in the post tomorrow or Wednesday.

First one the cursor/aim would suddenly flick off to the right. It made me run off cliffs more than once if I was running close to the edge and it suddenly turned me 90 degrees with no warning.

On the second the tracking was perfect, awesome mouse in every way EXCEPT one of the side buttons didn't click the same as the other. It wouldn't be an issue on a cheap mouse for but £80, I want a consistent mouse that isn't threatening to break.

I was one click away from ordering a mamba and a naga epic at different points, but a) they don't have the customisation options. b) The naga epic's button placement doesn't strike me as very wise (when I tried one, I'd move the mouse whenever I clicked one) and the mamba has less buttons. The biggest thing for me though was that if I'm going to spend £100 on a wireless mouse, I want it to be wireless. The RAT9 has that sorted with being able to swap battery packs. I couldn't find anything about spare battery packs/chargers with the other mice which means that if your battery runs out, you have to use it in wired mose, which defeats the point. If I wanted a wired mamba, I'd get a Deathadder for half the price.

Edit: If there's a problem with the new RAT when it shows up, I'll probably be going for the Mamba. It seems the better out of that or the naga epic.

Associate
I got the rat7 for christmas and am really impressed, love the customising on it, and only recently started to tweak it lol

Associate
My RAT 9 has been gathering dust for months since one of the batteries died, and given my location it wasn't an option to RMA it .. I hope they sell spare batteries for it at some point otherwise its useless, or I need to have 2 mice connected.
To be fair, for the few weeks it was working I enjoyed it.

Edit : just learned that they now sell spare batteries and other parts.. yay!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom