Cycling to my local station

Soldato
For the last two years, my wife has dropped me off at my local station and picked me up after work. She's no on maternity leave and her 6 week "ban" on driving following a c-section is coming to and end, therefore, she will be keen to have the car to go out and about whilst I'm at work.

My local station has a good and secure cycle store, therefore, instead of buying a car for a 2.6m trip each day, I'm going to cycle it.

As it should only take 10-15 minutes to cycle to the station, I don't see the point in putting cycling gear on, then changing again when I get to work on the other side.

I have a Giant Defy 4 road bike. What should I do to make it more suitable for this type of commuting?

I'll already changed the pedals back to the original strap instead of toe clips.

Is it worth investing in mud guards and a different type of tyre? The condition of the road isn't too bad, but as usual, there are a few potholes.

Also, what would people recommend in terms of keeping dry? I've seen some bike ponchos that look decent and avoids the need to put water proof trousers on, anyone used them in the past?

Back
Top Bottom