1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyclists - how far do you commute to work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BoyceyLDN, Mar 5, 2019.

1. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I'm 61 and always known it as Vehicle Tax or VED

2. ThaReaperGuy

Soldato

6 miles each way, so 11 miles wouldn't be too bad once you've done a week or 2 of it. Especially if you ride on weekends as well.

3. sniperone

Wise Guy

17 mile round trip daily up some pretty step hills and 3 miles through a nature reserve . Love it though keeps me in shape .

4. physichull

Sgarrista

8 miles each way. Takes about half an hour depending on traffic. I try and do it most days, even with bad weather but I never cycle when its frosty or icy. That's just plain foolish.

5. JonnyT

Wise Guy

Strictly a Spring-Autumn cyclist, but when I do, it is 17.4 miles each way (34.2 miles round trip). It is in Cambridgeshire, so there are no hills to speak of, and I am blessed with a brilliant off-road tarmac'ed cycle way which runs alongside the (infamous) Cambridgeshire Guided Bus Rout from St Ives (Cambs) to Cambridge, which covers most of the route. On my hybrid (fatter, semi-treaded tyres, not a eBike) I can do it in close to an hour when the wind allows (assists with a tail wind, or is absent!) and I really do enjoy it and get into it during the warmer, lighter months.

6. Bear

Capodecina

A lot of us do have insurance. As most club cyclists often require British Cycling membership which is about £40 it covers you for third party liability insurance as well as gives you discounts etc. so its a no brainer really (Im not a club cyclist but do have British Cycling membership)

7. moon man

Mobster

When I lived in West Yorkshire I worked on the canal side in Elland and found a cycle path and canal side route from Heckmondwike then just roads in early hours of morning on way back 27 miles ish

8. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

I used to do 12, then an hour on the train, then another 3 each way. Prior to that it was 8 each way. I reckon 11 with no other legs would be a dream for me these days!

9. bimbleuk

Wise Guy

~20 miles each way 3 times a week but that can vary as the shorter route is the busiest and the longer routes are down country lanes so much more pleasant in summer. I have showers at work though and an area to dry my clothes so that's a huge advantage as I can do the ride in just under an hour and not worry about being a smelly mess the rest of the day :)

Plus I have a set of clothes at work to change into so I carry only bits I need to keep protected or make repairs on route. That doesn't happen so often now I've changed my wheels, tubes and tyres to find a more resistant combo.

My "night" kit consists of a Torch T2 helmet (front and back light panels) plus 2 rear lights and a bright front LED with large battery pack (shrouded to stop dazzling). I start early to work.

Basically I have a section in my kitchen with a clothes rack and bins just for my cycling kit! Oh and a cycle repair stand to make regular serving easy.

I used to save ~£400 a year in diesel but not so much now I'm driving an EV.

10. grudas

Capodecina

used to do 10-15 miles each way for 4 years straight

no problems, literally went from no cycling to cycling 5 days a week, the first couple of weeks were painful but after that I got used to it and had no issues.

e.g. of one of my old commutes..

11. Begbie

Capodecina

Guy at work got his hip and femur broken. Bed bound for months.

Now back cycling, 6 months(ish) later.

12. Shadowness

Mobster

About 15 miles each way for me (the most direct route).

In nicer weather I normally extend that to 20-30 miles, depending on what training I have at the weekend.

13. robfosters

Caporegime

Can’t you give us an idea of where this is from and to?

14. platinum87

Mobster

Good cycling.

Makes me want to fix my bike, used to do 8 miles through central London each way for like almost 4 years.

Our paths cross at marble arch.

15. randomshenans

Capodecina

10km each way. 18 min on a great day with no traffic.

16. grudas

Capodecina

17. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

This is a pro-click, folks.

18. grudas

Capodecina

thanks!

I kinda miss it and kinda don't, had some great rides, made some great friends etc.. want to get back on the bike but for fun rather than commuting.

19. TallPaul_S

Soldato

There's no way I'd commute by bicycle in London. Motorbike, yes. Cycle, no chance.

20. Ranger07

Wise Guy

I do 20 miles each way, it's tough to begin with but your body adapts quickly, I'm now skinny and can eat pretty much whatever I want, feel fit and get sick less often.

For me it has been win win.