D&D 5e, starting a game soon, any DM's have tips?

Permabanned
So,

Bought myself the 5e books and have found a few mates who want to give it a go. Smashing! However, I have never played DnD before and neither have they, going in completely n00b.

Anyone here played and have some tips and advice for a new DM at all?

I was going to get the starter set and run that with them, but I found a free adventure that someone has written based on the MTG universe, in Innstrad. Sounds smashing fun. I plan on getting some miniatures painted up for my players PCs as well as getting spell cards written out so I can ease them into the whole "Play it in your head" concept.

But yes, not played DnD before but have enjoyed Baldurs gate and the like for many years. Any advice is more than welcome.

Cheers,

Grady

Permabanned
OP
I wana drooooid (if I have a choice!)

EDIT: Or a paladin! Or a Cleric! Or a Warlock! Something with some magical prowess!

EDIT: On the note of characters, will we know them before we play at all?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
1) Teifling Bard :D - I love bards in my games when I DM, be good to play one. Plus, my last poem won me a Roccat headset in the comp!
2) Dragonborn Paladin - Love me "the good guy" all noble like.

I can RP any of them though if needed.

Permabanned
OP
things like magic missiles needs a roll to hit but looking again I think they hit automatically

Yeah Magic Missiles do auto hit (there are some spells that totally negate them though), great for getting in some needed damage when something is on its last leg. Also really good for trying to break someones concentration on a spell, as its auto hitting and causing 3+ concentration checks.

Sleep seems crazy powerful, at lower levels, since there is no save allowed on it.

Permabanned
OP
Only issue (I use the term loosely) with magic missile is that it is a level 1 spell as opposed to cantrip and at times I struggle to see the benefit of it for its low damage out (3d4+3) I mean you can bash it out with a 2nd or 3rd level slot but even then you are only throwing more missiles not upping the damage. I'm far from a balance/meta game expert but I always think it would be better suited as a cantrip with a constitution/wisdom save attached to it.

Magic Missiles has always been a level 1 spell though, I think its too powerful to be a cantrip as is but watering it down with a constitution save (a wisdom save wouldn't make sense IMO) means that when used for its main purpose, breaking concentration, the defender is making far to many rolls... you have 1 for the initial saving throw, then you have another for each missile to break concentration. Also it would mean an auto hitting cantrip, which would be crazy. Train up 1000 peasants to learn a level 0 cantrip, all cast it at a dragon at once, insta hit, dead dragon.

I think its at level 11 where Magic Missile is out done by cantrips, when cast at level 1 (damage cantrips get boosted on certain level ups) but only in terms of damage. But also need to remember that Magic Missiles can be directed at X targets, where X is the number of missiles you have, a pretty useful ability.

Again though, back to the point, Magic Missile is used as a concentration breaker, forcing the target to take 3 DC10 Concentration saving throws.

Permabanned
OP
I'm free anytime to play, well might be busy promoting my dice business some nights, but I can shuffle things around.

Not forgotten about getting the story so far up either, just busy with work.

Permabanned
OP
Dice business is something I've got in the works at the moment. I've PMd with details for now, need to ask the mods about seeing if I can maybe get a thread up or something just to let people know.

Will just say to everyone else reading, if you were going to buy a set of nice dice for DnD, just hold fire till the end of September! (PM me and I'll send details!).

Story will be done Monday, work to do until then :(

Permabanned
OP
Took my bard to an adventure league game ... came into the game at level 3, so a bit stronger. I killed a powered down lich and then got killed my some "Claws" ... I do wonder how he will roleplay knowing that his end is only 2 levels away!

Still busy busy with work and dice... I swear as soon as I get an hour free, I will write everything up.

Back
Top Bottom