Daft question?

Associate
Hi fellow forum people!

daft question, but do I need to uprate my PSU?

Current rig:
AMD Ryzen 5800x
Arctic Freezer III RGB
Gigabyte 3070 Aorus Master
32GB G.Skill Trident Neo 3600Mhz RAM
1 TB M.2 SSD (Main C drive, for OS, frequently used stuff, and my main games)
1 TB HDD (for random games and general stuff that doesn't need to load fast)
4 TB HDD (Long term photography storage)
Lian Li 207 case (recent upgrade)
custom sensor panel running with Aida 64 and RTSS

I do have a small undervolt on my GPU, but CPU is stock. Cinebench scores in the 1400s depending on what I shut down or keep running.

I've currently got a Corsair RM750i PSU I got a few years ago, it's doing fine and generally I don't notice any particular issues, but I'm getting huge packet loss in CS2. Mostly it's low, but I get prolonged spikes of 30-70% (lasting for 15-20mins or more), and I'm rubber banding in some matches.

One of my friends suggested I should be running a 1000w+ PSU, but I'm struggling to see how that could affect packet loss in a particular game, that's more of a network issue in my mind. Should I put a PSU upgrade on the priority list?

Thanks @Tetras, I was pretty sure it was fine, PC Part Picker suggests around 550w for my PC, but wasn't sure if there was something I was missing. I don't see any other issues, so the PSU seems to be doing just fine.

Thanks @Tetras, I was pretty sure it was fine, PC Part Picker suggests around 550w for my PC, but wasn't sure if there was something I was missing. I don't see any other issues, so the PSU seems to be doing just fine.
PSU issues due to power spikes that exceed the capacity usually just cause shut downs or resets.

Packet loss is most likely due to your network (or possibly a driver problem), as you said. Are there other people using your network when you're experiencing the packet loss?

With online games, it can also be a routing problem, if the server is located somewhere your ISP doesn't like connecting to, or the connection is not a good one.

The event viewer might have more details on any network problems.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the event viewer and see if there's anything there.

There's usually a few connections in the house, phones, TV etc, though last night it happened when I was on my own, so it should have just been my PC that was active. My internet speed is good, 350Mb/sec (Virgin Media), and we usually get most of that even at busy times. Ping is low, 23ms normally to the servers. I had the internet connection come into the house right by my PC, so it's an ethernet connection to the router that sits on my desk. I update the graphics drivers regularly through Geforce experience too.

I think it's to do with the game implementation just being a bit buggy, so I'll see if I can do a traceroute first, but I might try reinstalling windows, have been putting it off as it's a bit of a faff.

i'd manually find the most UpToDate driver for the nic, dont trust windows to just do it. also what BIOS are you on?

Do a few speed tests and line checkers, just because you getting 350MB/s doesn't mean you don't have a fault in some way on your line.
also how old is your router i find that at about the 2 year mark most off brand router's iv had in the passed would start to show faults where the internet would almost come in waves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom