Daley abused on Twitter after diving failure.

Caporegime
Your invocation of Godwin's law does not render my argument invalid. Perhaps you can counter it?

Look, here's a Wikipedia link about the fallacy you're committing by claiming my argument to be invalid on the grounds that it includes a comparison to the Nazi's, regardless of the veracity of that claim.

I never said your argument was invalid.

Caporegime
:confused:

Godwin's law is not about deciding who is right or who is wrong, its about recognising that an argument has descended to a point where sensible discussions have been left far behind.

The fact this thread about a single incident of abuse has reached the stage that people are comparing the situation to Nazi Germany and the holocaust signifies its probably time we all grew up a bit and moved on. Even the media have forgotten about it.

Caporegime
:confused:

Godwin's law is not about deciding who is right or who is wrong, its about recognising that an argument has descended to a point where sensible discussions have been left far behind.

The fact this thread about a single incident of abuse has reached the stage that people are comparing the situation to Nazi Germany and the holocaust signifies its probably time we all grew up a bit and moved on. Even the media have forgotten about it.

Discussions evolve. We'd moved to a point where someone was defending the taking of the perp's DNA when he hadn't even been convicted of anything. I was disputing that it was appropriate. A comparison to the Nazi's was appropriate at that point. You'll note I didn't make that comparison in relation to his being arrested or having his Twitter account blocked.

Believe it or not, you don't get to be the arbiter on whether a discussion is "sensible" or not. Get over it.

Soldato
Lol at the "speak out" rubbish.

You speak out by expressing your disgust at a countries human rights issues or highlighting corruption. Saying something deliberately malicious and posting death threats is not "daring to speak out".

When I said speaking out, given the context of this thread and what I had actualy described in my post, do you think I was referring to the kid speaking out, or those who disagree with the level of punishment being labelled trolls?

Soldato
Don't worry as soon as something like this happens to them or their family/friends they'll change their stance on the matter fast enough.

Ah yes. The typical emotive response. Why use impartiality when we can all pretend it might happen to us one day. That's an excellent way to run a justice system. Sadly it doesn't just stop at web forums.

Back
Top Bottom