Damanged network cabling to garden studio

Associate
I have 2 network cables buried under the garden from the house to the studio. Unfortuntely the cable's broken. I posted a task on Airtasker last month got no good offers.

I've tried just using wifi mesh but for some reason it's terrible. I have the Unifi UAP AC Pro. Distance is about 5m.

Have you considered a point to point wireless link? 5m is nothing as long as there's line of sight. Can be fast too. I'm going to say Mikrotik or Ubiquiti do them, perhaps even using POE so you don't need mains power either. Someone will he along with more info soon I'm sure.

Is the studio fed power from your fuse board or does it have its own? Could try a powerline setup?

Last edited:
I have 2 network cables buried under the garden from the house to the studio. Unfortuntely the cable's broken. I posted a task on Airtasker last month got no good offers.

I've tried just using wifi mesh but for some reason it's terrible. I have the Unifi UAP AC Pro. Distance is about 5m.
Where abouts are you?

While I realise not everyone is physically capable of everything, pulling 5m of cable through what is presumably conduit, ideally with pull cord installed, seems like the sort of thing that may not be unreasonable to ask a friend/neighbour/family member to help with depending on your situation? I mean, I have cable rods that are longer than that, and the last time I used them it was a mate in a wheelchair with only one good arm/leg doing the feeding while making unrepeatable jokes about my exploitation of those less fortunate in society, until I reminded him it was his house, my cable, and I wasn't being paid, so it was technically me being exploited :D

The cables run through some ducting but then terminate through the wall, but I'm not knowledgable enough to wire a new one up. Would wifi work through glass and walls? Maybe getting a Unifi U6 Mesh? I'm based in south London.

modal_74148d59-46b2-43f2-8499-8c46699af244-06613788cbf605c96bdeb7664efb68d6.jpg

Last edited:
If you want the cable replacing then look at aerial installers in your area. You don’t want to be paying electrician rates for this, especially in London.

If the cable has been chewed then it will be worth running the replacement in steel conduit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom