Damp Internal Wall

Soldato
If there's a slate dpc
Would have thought running your fingers over painted area you would still feel it?

Could the level of the soil have been raised over the years?
Happened to my step son
Some one raised the level of the pathway going down the side of the house for some reason or other
And it was higher than the dpc

If the wall is cavity, maybe water is getting in at the top and trickling down and soaking through.
Already been decided the way brickwork is done means it's solid wall
Cavity walls the bricks are in a different pattern

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
If there's a slate dpc
Would have thought running your fingers over painted area you would still feel it?

Could the level of the soil have been raised over the years?
Happened to my step son
Some one raised the level of the pathway going down the side of the house for some reason or other
And it was higher than the dpc

It's not as obvious as you'd think, especially if someone has also repointed it.

But this is what I am thinking might be the issue. People (who don't know buildings) mess around with them and cause problems. Of course, the addition of double glazing and sealing up houses hasn't helped these older properties but people aren't as 'ard as they were back in the day so need heating!

Soldato
It's not as obvious as you'd think, especially if someone has also repointed it.

But this is what I am thinking might be the issue. People (who don't know buildings) mess around with them and cause problems. Of course, the addition of double glazing and sealing up houses hasn't helped these older properties but people aren't as 'ard as they were back in the day so need heating!
Lol
No they aren't as ard lol
But lived in a victorian property
I loved the solid build of it
The proportions
The features
But can also see why they had a fireplace in every room lol
They can be hard to heat
Guess that's why people mess around with stuff

Soldato
OP
Yep good points

I am certain that internal wall has been replaced with plasterboard I suspected something about then when I purchased the house 5/6 years back.

This could have been a problem for a while and thats why the previous owner boarded the hallway, so I am wondering if there is a chance those plasterboards are waterproof already

Mr injector responded back telling me that he can’t help me under his gurantee as his team did not do the internal plastering work
Basically he is being useless
I suspected this would be the case

how long have water proof plaster boards been around?

Soldato
Waterproof plasterboard
A good long time
No idea exactly
But vaguely remember working for some one 20 years ago and may have used them then
Some one else probably can be more precise than me though
Now adays cement based boards would be sort of thing used in bathrooms /showers /wet rooms/damp areas I would have thought
Though not done that sort of stuff in years
So just my opinion am not a builder or anything

Associate
Yep good points

I am certain that internal wall has been replaced with plasterboard I suspected something about then when I purchased the house 5/6 years back.

This could have been a problem for a while and thats why the previous owner boarded the hallway, so I am wondering if there is a chance those plasterboards are waterproof already

Mr injector responded back telling me that he can’t help me under his gurantee as his team did not do the internal plastering work
Basically he is being useless
I suspected this would be the case

how long have water proof plaster boards been around?

Waterproof plasterboards, in the traditional sense, don't exist. There are moisture resistant boards or there are cement boards (good in showers/bathrooms). If you are using (or attempting to use) some kind of waterproof board, then there is a problem that needs sorting externally that is letting water into the property. Solve that and none of whatever Dampman is trying to sell (in general I mean) is required.

Mr Dampman won't have a clue. £10 he's got some affiliation with the PCA...?

Soldato
As SeatIbiza said
Water resistant would be more accurate than waterproof plasterboard
I was just being lazy
And assuming that was understood
As he also said finding and fixing the root cause is way forward
Rather than doing what someone has probably done just cover it up
But guessing you know that anyway
I would still be inclined to find where the dpc is
Even if got to dig a bit to see if the ground level has been raised
And if we get torrential rain
Even though gutters are clear
Would look to check it's not over flowing the gutter
Though usually you would see evidence of that on the wall
Green tinge or vague outline of water stain

Soldato
OP
I think it would be best to break that internal plasterboard up to see what is really going on before taking further action

but it is not a good time of year to do this right now as it will make the hallway extra cold and that’s the place I got my nest in.

Associate
I think it would be best to break that internal plasterboard up to see what is really going on before taking further action

but it is not a good time of year to do this right now as it will make the hallway extra cold and that’s the place I got my nest in.

Its not going to be any better until you do that. If you can sort out the source of the water and allow the area to dry it will be warmer as soon as you do that. You really do need to sort that out.

Soldato
I'm renovating a 1930's house and had issues with water under the floor when it rained.
Luckily as I'm renovating I could lift the floorboards, the root cause was perished mortar joints in the footings.
Only 2 or 3 tiny pinholes would let in a lot of water over a day! Tracing dye was invaluable.
Whats the slope of the property, would water accumulate against that wall in that area?
I note the damp tide mark is higher towards the return. Do you potentially have a dwarf wall under that return? Where water may pool up against it.
If you have a carpeted area nearby where you could lift a couple of floorboards and get your head in with a torch would be my thinking.
I'd do it after a decent rainfall if so.

Soldato
OP
I'm renovating a 1930's house and had issues with water under the floor when it rained.
Luckily as I'm renovating I could lift the floorboards, the root cause was perished mortar joints in the footings.
Only 2 or 3 tiny pinholes would let in a lot of water over a day! Tracing dye was invaluable.
Whats the slope of the property, would water accumulate against that wall in that area?
I note the damp tide mark is higher towards the return. Do you potentially have a dwarf wall under that return? Where water may pool up against it.
If you have a carpeted area nearby where you could lift a couple of floorboards and get your head in with a torch would be my thinking.
I'd do it after a decent rainfall if so.

I do notice that there is a slight gap between the concrete on the floor and the wall
is that what you meant?

The slope is fairly flat, I don't think water goes up against the wall but there are definitely gaps there in that area.

Soldato
OP
I am not sure if it is a dwarf wall

the area has laminate flooring I agree about lifting it up one day and checking underneath.

Soldato
OP
update:

it is actually got worse since I removed the paint 2 weeks back!!!!! smh.

I have asked the same builder to come over who pretty much did 90% of the renovation works 3 years back
just to see what he thinks needs doing.

Also I noticed some cold patches on the wall upstairs in the box bedroom since I took the paint off.
perhaps it was there before but I'm pretty sure it was not.

so by me taking the paint off, as a lot of people in here told me to - if its got worse what does it actually mean?

Soldato
You need to factor in all the wet and windy weather over the last couple of weeks, taking the paint off is likely to be completely unrelated to it getting worse.

The water is either coming in from somewhere it shouldn’t or can’t get out from somewhere it should, it’s that simple really.

Did you check all the gutters and roof while it was raining hard?

Soldato
My suspicions are that you have a cavity wall which is not allowing the walls to breath and release moisture outside. Because it can't escape outside, it's trying to escape inside hence the walls are cold because they are damp from the moisture trying to escape.

Try a dehumidifier for a week or two and see if things improve.

Associate
My suspicions are that you have a cavity wall which is not allowing the walls to breath and release moisture outside. Because it can't escape outside, it's trying to escape inside hence the walls are cold because they are damp from the moisture trying to escape.

Try a dehumidifier for a week or two and see if things improve.

Sorry what? If it's a cavity wall how is the moisture going from the outer to the inner leaf? Cavity walls were invented to prevent exactly that happening and they do it well. There are only a few ways this can happen and is usually due to junk in the cavity bridging outer to inner. From the brick pattern shown in the pictures, it's not a cavity wall. It's headers and stretchers - a cavity wall would be all stretchers.

The paint could/would have been holding moisture into the wall and it's only route of escape was into the house and hence the damp. It takes an age for it to dry out properly and, as above, the weather we've had recently is extremely wet so it's not really a surprise. Give it time, heat the property properly and see how it goes...

Soldato
OP
Ok giving it time
The hallway is prob the coldest part of the house
2nd biggest area and my google nest is here so we get temps of 17-18c Here and thats enough to keep the whole house warm

I will see what the builder says too

Back
Top Bottom