Dark and Light

Soldato
d051c10471852430b562f8238810176cfdaa80ab.jpg

Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/529180/Dark_and_Light/

I recently picked this up last week, it shares a lot with ARK (similar UI and same engine), however there are some gameplay improvements that I think sets it apart. It's early access and is getting pounded due to having the same owners as ARK (different dev team but publisher owns Studio Wildcard and evidently there has been crossover in assets) but I think there is a good platform underneath (I put 500+ hours into ARK).

- No engram system, skills and level based so you level up skills based on doing things rather than arbitrarily being restricted by a points system. i.e. taming skill increases based on utilising tames or taming more creatures which in turn unlocks saddles etc.

- Magic/Spells, plenty of variety from transformation spells (at top level can morph into a wyvern) to illusion spells (blend buildings into environment).

- Starting Cities, you spawn in one of these based on your race and it offers a level of protection compared to randomly spawning in the wild. Also allows you to respawn there without issue (unlike in ARK where you needed a Bed). In addition there are NPC's which you can sell items to for gold and buy items such as Armour and Weapons, you can donate to them to increase their rating which means they will sell you higher tier items (thus avoiding the need to level up those skill lines or harvest mats). This is a bit buggy atm but broadly the mechanics are in place.

- Meteorite drops, these spawn enemies and provide loot drops including things like elemental enemies which if killed can be stripped of their elemental cores which can be used to craft more powerful weapons/spells.

- Taming is a bit different to ARK, requires you to get up close and personal to pin down and tire out the tame using hooked arrows. There are slowing spells to assist in catching tames that usually flee. It's a slightly better mechanic and avoids cheesing tames into walls to torpor them down like you could in ARK. Food requirements for tames are largely similar to ARK if less complex (no kibble from what I've seen).

- Goblins...attack in packs, rob you, strip you naked and leave you for dead...:D

- You can revive dead pets once you reach certain level/requirements in game. No longer will you need to worry about having to find that perfect pet if you lose your favourite tames. Need to grind some resources to revive but doesn't take too long.

There are other mechanics that I haven't got into yet, summoning, dungeons, invasions etc.

Cons so far:

- It's early access so all the negatives that go along with that, performance is average, bugs aplenty. I'd suggest staying away for now unless you're willing to accept that! That being said there is a solid game foundation there that should be fleshed out over the coming months.

- I'm playing on a private server at the moment as apparently there are some pretty toxic players on the official servers. I never played ARK outside of a group of friends on a private server for the same reason. They are working on offline raiding and bugs associated with it (wall glitching is a thing atm) so again steer clear of PVP if you aren't interested in the griefing. There is a house seal system which protects guild houses within range of the seal (unless a house declares war which you accept) but I don't know if this is working/implemented properly yet (you can craft it).

- Taming rates on official are as obscene as ARK, we currently run 5x taming rate just to get it down to more sensible times.

- Melee combat is rubbish currently in terms of hitboxes but is supposedly being worked on but it definitely needs a lot of work. Harvesting can be rather annoying on corpses as a consequence. Update: recent patches have improved this considerably but still needs work!

- City system is buggy and not fully fleshed out, mechanics are there but it's fairly barebones currently.

- Building system has all the limitations of ARK, whilst I didn't enjoy Citadel: Forged with Fire, one thing I'd say is their building system is a lot better. Possibly something they can change but I suspect it's probably going to stay as is, that being said some people are making some pretty awesome structures so maybe it's me :p Update: On the higher tiers the building system feels a bit more varied and wider scope than ARK.

So yh one to keep an eye on if you enjoyed ARK (I gave up because it felt like engrams/dinos were prioritised over bug fixing). I think it has more potential than ARK and looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Some screenshots I've taken:

Dark_and_Light_Screenshot_2017.08.13_-_19.45.15.png

Dark_and_Light_Screenshot_2017.08.13_-_20.30.00.png

Dark_and_Light_Screenshot_2017.08.13_-_20.34.40.png

Last edited:
Soldato
How many incarnations of this game has there been? Hasn't every single one been a total failure?

Depends what you class as failure, many have been extremely good fun and I've played them more than single player games which cost more. ARK being a prime example, I haven't played it for about a year but have over 700 hours in it for about £17

That's pretty spectacular value for money.

Soldato
OP
Is the performance as bad as Ark?
I take it there are PvE servers?
How many animals are there to tame at the moment?

Performance is better than ARK for me but obviously your mileage may vary, that being said I think it's better looking than ARK maxed out. However it does suffer from the same asset loading stutter in denser areas which is annoying.

I understand there are PVE servers, not sure if any of the official ones are but we rent our own private server. There are around 50 or so I think but don't quote me on that.

Soldato
This is quite possibly the worst game i've ever played. Its just so broken and clearly is an Ark mod. Refunded after 30mins, after i tried to hit something with a weapon, but the desync forced me to teleport backwards every time i swung.

Conan Exiles is 100x better.

Man of Honour
This is quite possibly the worst game i've ever played. Its just so broken and clearly is an Ark mod. Refunded after 30mins, after i tried to hit something with a weapon, but the desync forced me to teleport backwards every time i swung.

Find it kind of depressing how fewer and fewer people seem to know how to make a good game any more - so many with hopelessly broken mechanics or mechanics that might sound good on paper but any experienced game developer could tell you won't work in actual gameplay or UIs that look like 12 different people worked on them with 20 different design directions, etc. etc.

Soldato
OP

Different strokes for different folks, I've got more hours in this than I have in Conan Exiles. Can't say I've experienced what you mentioned, sounds like a server side issue and the official ones are rubbish but fair enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Find it kind of depressing how fewer and fewer people seem to know how to make a good game any more - so many with hopelessly broken mechanics or mechanics that might sound good on paper but any experienced game developer could tell you won't work in actual gameplay or UIs that look like 12 different people worked on them with 20 different design directions, etc. etc.

In the case of Dark and Light, they basically took Ark, added Fantasy and made it within 2 weeks, without any from of QA testing. It is complete and utter rubbish, to call this an alpha is an insult to alphas like Rust.

Soldato
OP
Not had that problem as I said but the official servers from what I've heard have been pretty terrible in terms of lag etc so maybe why. Harvesting issue was fixed pretty early on. Anyway fair enough, like I said I'm enjoying it a lot more than Conan exiles but different strokes.

Soldato
If you've played ARK before and are now playing this, you should know to avoid official servers like the plague.

Terrible performance both FPS and MS wise compared to privates/unofficial, awful player bases and you can't run 5ft without tripping over a box somebody made before realising officials were a mistake and leaving.

Back
Top Bottom