Dark base pro 900 loop

Associate
Wondering if I can get some help from the pro's, this will be my first-time doing custom water cooling.

Like the title states, i have a Dark base pro 900, I am thinking a 360mm rad top Exhausting (push) and 280mm rad at the front Intake (Push or Pull - not sure depends on the case/room) to cool an i7 5820k and 1080ti that I am yet to purchase, not sure whether to buy a pre-configured 1080ti or buy a standard one and purchase a water-block kit for it :/.

Also, i am confused as to what thickness and "FPI" to look for in terms of the radiators, the finished result I am heading towards is pure silence and low rpm while being really cool at the same time. A few brands I am thinking of going with are EK and Hardware Lab's radiators.

For the pump and reservoir, i presume a D5-PWM pump/reservoir combo will be ample although I have read that vibrations can occur, unlike implementing it in a decoupled fashion, I am leaning towards the combo for the fact that it will require less room and mounting. For the CPU block, would a Supremecy Evo be enough?

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
As I have not heard back I just decided to go ahead and purchase 2x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 420mm radiators for a start. Hopefully, i made the right choice in getting the longest possible radiators i could fit in my case, instead of shorter thicker rads. I am pretty sure this will be ample for 1cpu and 1gpu if not overkill.

The only thing i am uncertain about is do i need to get dual pumps or will a single D5 PWM be enough. Is 16 FPI restrictive?

Rad Specs Below

Case: Steel
Color: black
Connector: 2x G1/4
Cooling channels: Copper
Fan mounting thread: M3
Fan size: 140mm
Fins per inch: 16
Manufacturer: Alphacool
Material lamellae: Copper
Number of fans: 3
Pressure tested: 2 Bar
Thickness: S - 30mm

Will most likely be using Be Quiet 140mm High-speed PWM fans, of which i have at the moment on a closed loop cooler and they are silent up to 1200 rpm

Associate
OP
could someone help me out on what Fittings I need to recreate this simple loop, thanks in advance, also what tube size is recommended or does that even matter? Thanks in advance.

rSjCxpr.jpg

https://ibb.co/g4UVmk

Associate
I'm going EK ZMT 3/8 ID 5/8 OD (10mm/16mm), so fittings are also same size. I have DB9, got EK XRES 140 D5 PWM, using 2x 360mm Magicool G2 Slim, my thread on OCN, which you may or may not find handy to ref.

I don't think you'll need max speed on pump from all I've read so far. The FPI is fins per inch on rad, higher number equal more densely packed. So you need higher static pressure fans and may need to run at higher RPM. From all I've read on extremerigs 16 FPI isn't considered high density fin count, more like med/low.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Any idea exactly what number of fittings I need, Seems that the EK 40 degree fittings do not come with the compression fitting attached to the opposite end so in theory, i would need to account for that and purchase more compression fittings, why wouldn't they include them :/ more money making i guess.

Thanks for the link to your thread, very helpfull.

Associate
There are 11 compression fittings in clear view, 12th is where the drain valve is, you can just see it under the HDD cage.

aWK4Szb.jpg

So to make the drain valve in the image you have a 3 way fitting (the cube). Then there would be a male to male piece between cube and drain valve. Here is a clearer larger image from EK Webshop.

There are 6 90 degree fittings in clear view, the one on the back side of res is probably a 90 as well, so 7 90 degree.

The way the loop is in the photo, you wouldn't technically be measuring "water temp from gpu - cpu". For example adding a 3 way fitting top rad, outer port, you would accommodate a sensor telling you how hot the water is after leaving the GPU block and before entering top rad. Water gets cooled in rad and goes to CPU block, so adding a fitting there or on res inlet would only get you temp of water after leaving CPU.

The loop is pump > front rad > drainage > GPU block > top rad > CPU block > res.

I'm planning on go pump> GPU block > CPU block > temp sensor > top rad > front rad > temps sensor > drainage > res. So in my loop the 1st temp sensor gets the heated water temp from GPU/CPU and prior to entering rads for cooling. The 2nd temp sensor gets the cooled water temp after it's been through both rads and before entering res/pump to go around again.

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £140.23
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Think that is what is used for that loop. Have added a end cap for the drain valve.
Only added 1m of tube, not sure how much you will need.
Not sure how the drain valve is connected, but presume it is some tube from the rad to the T splitter and the valve attached to that.

Also, it has the optional multiport top on the reservoir.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £24.96
(includes shipping: £6.02)

I have speced EK fittings to give an example only. (The 90 degree fittings look different)

To slow. :D

Associate
OP
Am I right in thinking I will not need that internal tube for the reservoir right, as the top of the res is only intake and not outtake?

Last edited:
Soldato
That bit of tube is so water intake is below water level. If you don't use it the water will be churned up, possibly adding air bubbles into the system and it will be noisier.

Associate
OP
As i will be using the top back port of the reservoir as intake, would i not need a right angle tube edge to connect it :/ apologise if that is a stupid question.

Associate
OP
Soldato
Screw it into the corresponding hole that has the 90 degree fitting is on, they share the same channel as one on the top. See the second picture on the store page.

Yep, watercooling is a very expensive hobby.

Associate
OP
The last question, i promise... what is the best way of controlling the 3x PWM fans on the CPU rad and the 3x PWM fans on the GPU rad, i was thinking of putting the 3 CPU fans on the CPU header and the pump on the CPU optional header, not sure if this is the best method, where should the GPU rad fans go, would it not be better purchasing something where everything connects up in one place

Back
Top Bottom