Dark Messiah problems

Associate
Picked up this game today for £10 - thought it was worth a go.

Initially, it didn't work at all - sound OK, but blank white screen on launching. (Remained after 1.3 patch)

During the installation, it associated itself with Steam and downloaded a lot of data. It will now launch and run via Steam only - and now the sound is knackered, with severe stutter, and the game is more or less unplayable.

I have updated both graphics card and sound card drivers.

My system:

Alienware Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.6GHz
Geforce 7800GTX 256MB
Audigy 2 ZS
3GB RAM

Anyone have any ideas?

Capodecina
Soldato
This game is riddled with problems. Personally I gave up after a while - it installed fine then wouldn't restart again. I just moved on to other things but it was quite annoying.

Soldato
I read about a problem were if you have one of the settings on high, I think textures maybe, it causes an overload in the memory and then causes you to stutter like hell and freezing all the time.

Permabanned
Works fine for me, but I picked it up 2 days ago and guess what it was 98p for the collectors edition at GAME. Looks like you got ripped off and it was brand new :).

Associate
Doc Rob said:
Picked up this game today for £10 - thought it was worth a go.

Initially, it didn't work at all - sound OK, but blank white screen on launching. (Remained after 1.3 patch)

During the installation, it associated itself with Steam and downloaded a lot of data. It will now launch and run via Steam only - and now the sound is knackered, with severe stutter, and the game is more or less unplayable.

I have updated both graphics card and sound card drivers.

My system:

Alienware Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.6GHz
Geforce 7800GTX 256MB
Audigy 2 ZS
3GB RAM

Anyone have any ideas?

The stutter problem is from the sound - I found it pretty much got rid of the problem when I switched the sound to Stereo.

Ace game though - minus the spiders, which sucked.

Associate
I played it maxed @ 1280 x 1024 on a Gainward 7800GS+ 512 (700gt core) and had no probs. that was with 92.91 drivers then i think. absolutely no probs.
although I had downloaded it via steam and always played it through steam.
great game.

Associate
This chugged terribly and crashed very frequently when I was playing it but it seemed to get better by some of the later levels. Since this was months ago perhaps it works better now but it doesn't seem likely so far :p

Associate
OP
Just thought I would update this for interest's sake.

I messed around with the settings, to no avail, and then had a look on the web. I found a site with some plausible sounding suggestions. Apparently the Source engine has a lot of known problems of this type, due to it loading textures on the fly during levels (never had any problems with HL2 or CS: Source, but there you go).

I increased the size of my virtual memory to 2.5GB (from 1.5).

I downloaded the trial version of Diskeeper and defragged my HDD.

These two things seemed to fix the problem - or at least I was able to run part of the first level with the sound seeming normal, which it hadn't previously.

The next step is to stop a number of processes which are clogging up my memory - the trouble will be figuring out what they do, and whether they are necessary or not...

Back
Top Bottom