Dark screens...

Associate
Hi folks,
Just a question that i'd like to throw out there for you all

I just bought a 19 inch http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-043-SA
it was a replacement for my sony SDM s-93B http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mo...=dfa33cf1b836bf9bc77a6bfd1d54589c&mdl=SDMS93B

And the 19 inch had a black line of sight fading effect, just like a laptop monitor but quite worse, don't get me wrong it was a nice screen, but it was just not what i wanted at all, it made colours in games look really bad if you even moved a fraction up or down from the screen.

my other 19 inch had no problems like this at all and could be viewed from all angles with no colour or blackness distortion.

I just want to know if there is a technology or term for this kind of monitor so i can identify this kind of thing in the future?

Thanks for any answers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Could you be more specific about what problem you're getting? Is it just poor viewing angles - ie where the screen looks dark/pale if you look at it from above/below and pale from left/right at more than say 30 degrees, or is the 'PVA' (unlikely since your screen has a TN panel) problem where detail fades in and out as you move left/right a few inches?

As Kreee says it's TN+Film and they all have limited viewing angles. Vertical viewing angles are particularly bad and you can notice the screen darken or go pale just from moving your head up or down an inch or so. Nothing you can do about it apart from buying an IPS/MVA/PVA screen instead and paying more.

Associate
OP
Hi fish99, yeah i had a more detailed look into the monitor technologies. The monitor i had before was an MVA screen, and the one i bought was a TN-film screen.
I was a total newbie when it comes to the monitor market and its just a bit of a shame that i had to find out this difference after i bought the monitor. I found this link from Badasses tft sticky very helpful is determining the difference between the monitor technologies.

I had a good old research and IPS/MVA/PVA are like you said fish in general more expensive, and widescreen IPS/MVA/PVA screens are hard to find for anything less than £300/400.

I'm not that downed by the TN tech though and will be keeping my monitor, but there is a quite a difference in viewing angles between the technologies.

Back
Top Bottom