Darren Pencille murder trial

Soldato
I've been following the trial of this guy, after he allegedly murdered a 51 year old IT consultant on a train near Guildford with a knife, in front of his son - in a frenzied attack following a dispute.

I imagine he'll be found guilty, but what I didn't expect - was the evidence about how the defendant attempted to deescalate the situation and how the victim did seem to want a confrontation, the CCTV footage clearly shows the defendant walking away from the quarrel - where he's quickly followed by the victim, who ultimately meets his fate.

What's also interesting is how the witnesses on the train, report how the victim essentially 'egged on' and 'patronised' the defendant, leading up to the attack.

The defendant denies murder, but admits to stabbing the victim in 'self defense', which is obviously ridiculous as it wouldn't be reasonable force against an unarmed man, (then there's the possession of a knife issue...)

So yeah, whilst I imagine he'll be found guilty - it didn't play out the way I expected, seems the victim wanted some action and paid the price...

Soldato
OP
The problem for the defendant and the argument of self-defense, is that the evidence shows he made a phone call to his girlfriend and said he was going to "kill this man" so the intention is there and undisputed, so I don't think it can be successfully argued that it's not murder, because it clearly was.

You can't really ring someone up and say you're going to kill someone, then subsequently after killing them with a knife - argue it was self defense, it's folly.

Soldato
OP
Where are you seeing that he called her up before he did anything? On the BBC link it says he called her hours after saying he'd done something bad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-48786426

From the link;

Giving evidence from behind a screen, Ms Carter said the pair had an argument, during which Mr Pencille had picked up his mobile phone and said: "I'm going to kill this man."

It seems he didn't call someone, but he said it whilst holding his phone - either way, the intent was clear.

Soldato
OP
A totally expected and just result..

It seems like the UK streets are carnage at the moment, each morning I turn on the news (I'm in LA and 8 hours behind) it seems someone else has been 'shanked' or 'murked' insane incidents, like a woman and her unborn baby the other week, - crazy stuff.

It seems terrifying how these kids can just go off at the drop of a hat and stab someone like this, it feels like a good honest punch up and being thrown into a cell for affray is a thing of the past.

Back
Top Bottom