Dartford crossing bike service

Soldato
Has anyone crossed the Thames at the Dartford crossing lately?

Last time I was riding over that way I jumped on the Gravesend-Tilbury ferry, but that doesn't run on a Sunday. So I'm looking for an alternative.

There is a service you can use for free which looks quite straightforward: https://www.gov.uk/dartford-crossing-bike. Sounds like it shouldn't be much more than a 15 min wait unless there's an incident at the crossing.

Just wondering if anyone has any horror stories as if I get there and can't get across for whatever reason, then my alternative is to ride into central London :-/

Soldato
OP
Just to answer my own question in case it helps anyone....

I did this at the weekend and it was pretty straightforward. The traffic on the Kent side was pretty awful getting to the pickup point, but when I arrived the truck was already there. I phoned up, and a chap was over within 10mins. 10 mins later I was dropped off at the other side. The chap was even nice enough to fill my water bottle up :).

It's a pretty boring ride getting out of the industrial estate on the Essex side, but I remember Tilbury being pretty awful as well if you get the Gravesend > Tilbury ferry instead, so it's much of a much-ness there.

Soldato
OP
Did you do an M25ish lap? I've heard of quite a few people doing it and taking the bus or ferry service.
No. I live on the South Coast and some family live in Essex. Going through central London would be the straightest route, but would be horrid. Going around the West side of the M25 is easier to plan, but adds around 50k and isn't particularly scenic. So the East side is my best option, but crossing the Thames is a bit of a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom