Dashcams!

Soldato
So much choice - you want something that is hardwired and has battery protection along with motion detection.
I have a Thinkware pair of cameras which are hardwired in. They motion and impact detect whilst I'm parked up, however they also monitor battery voltage - if this drops below a certain level then the cameras completely shut-off, so no coming out to a flat battery.
Mine will record on motion detection and record and backup on collision detection (basically puts that footage into a separate area on the SD Card for safe keeping).
Small & discreet.....
We're not the cheapest cameras in the world and despite a lot of people telling you that the fitting is straight forward, I did not fancy trim removal or getting cables to the rear camera - so I paid to have it installed.

The footage I've watched back has been very clear, I can read numberplates and the night vision appears top-notch too.
My gut feeling is that you can get some good, cheap cameras, but I do wonder if the night footage is as good on a cheaper camera.

Soldato
probably blind .. but I saw my first car with a 'there is a recording device onboard' rear window sticker, and thought lol
if these dash cams are even any good for being able to see the sides of the car etc
approaching from the sides not going to be seen, which correspond to the only vandalism I've had.

following viofo discusion reviewed some night shots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab9zIQSLwgA
and wondered what the realistic expectation is, of resolving plates ? for this, or other, more expensive devices.

Soldato
From playing about a little with my Viofo, it seems the case that when viewing captured footage sometimes you can't make out 'plates' that easily, and you wonder whether you've got them. However when you freeze the footage more often than not they are easily legible, including the sign written vans and alike.

Associate
I have a Nextbase 312GW which I have no issues with at the front. Does anyone have a recommendation for a small rear facing camera (Not a dual dash cam or something that points backwards from the front). It must be placed close to the back window.

Soldato
Any recommendations for a cheap dashcam for the wife's A4?

Only does school runs and very short commute. Doesn't need GPS, rear facing, parked video etc. Just a simple get in, drive and not have to worry about it unless the footage is needed so one that over writes itself.

Something that can wired in from the cabin lights would be great as the charging socket is quite a bit back from the front dash.

Also, worth buying some polarising film for the windscreen to cut the glare? Just in front of the camera lens not the entire windscreen ;)

Associate
Has anyone had the Halfords fitting done? She likes Halfords as she has comeback if it goes wrong.
Had mine fitted with them last weekend, as I'm properly **** at anything to do with manual work, and I'm happy with the job done. All the cables tucked away as it has been wired in to the fuse to come on with the ignition.

Soldato
Had mine fitted with them last weekend, as I'm properly **** at anything to do with manual work, and I'm happy with the job done. All the cables tucked away as it has been wired in to the fuse to come on with the ignition.

Same here, they did mine, it was front and back and it was part of my gift to have it all fitted for me.

Soldato
Quick opinions on the Nextbase Duo please? Need a front and rear camera setup for the missus asap. She parked in a car park in B'ham a few weeks ago and got back to the car to find that some jockey had squeezed down the side of her and blatantly ran all down the side of it... Stopped in traffic on the M6 a few days ago and some guy in a van hits her from behind, then gets arsey with her claiming there's no damage when there clearly is :rolleyes:
Some opinions on a good cam would be appreciated, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom