Dashcams!

Soldato
Hi chaps I just purchased a dash cam (A118c / B40) commonly know as 'the wedge' however if I use it the DAB radio signal completely dies or is very weak with some stations... Is there anyway to combat this issue?

Soldato
Have any of you looked at the Dirft Ghost HD? It has a DVR mode which starts the thing recording when it gets external power. Good in low light and probably cheaper than all the 'proper' dashcam solutions.

Man of Honour
I have seen a few of these threads pop up, and don't often see anyone mention the mobius camera. £44 , loop recording, pretty good low light and the option to begin/end recording when it sees power. Personally for me, two of these and cheap USB chargers would be the way to go.

I have been using a Mobius on my FPV RC Planes, Motorcycle Helmet, Car dash cam and so far they have been faultless.

Associate
I have the E-Prance 805, and Transcend DrivePro 100. Id fully recommend both, although favour the 805 as its more discreet.

Both produce good visuals.

Soldato
I wanna fit front and back to my STI people act like idiots in general but 10x worse around me in my car than in work van

Soldato
I've got an E-prance 0801 which I'm just about to replace with a Koonlung K1S. The 0801 has given sterling service for some years but I'm replacing it because the K1S has front and rear cameras and can handle 128 GB SD cards. The high capacity is important because I almost got caught out with the low capacity of the 0801.

Soldato
I've just finished mounting my K1S to my Yeti and my immediate thoughts are that they skimped on the camera cables - they could do with them each being 1m or so longer - and that the rear camera is at the extreme of its range of movement. And the sticky pads don't stick to the interior trim.

I've yet to go driving with it.

Soldato
How are you getting along with the K1S?

I've been reading up and trying to decide what to go for. I'm pretty sure I want a dual cam solution so I'm leaning towards the K1S at the moment after watching Techmoan's review, or maybe the Marcus 5.

Seems like the audio is pretty bad on the K1S though, which is a shame. Would hate to miss out on audio of someone decides to go all road ragey.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Anyone with an 0803 or 0805 notice that in very hot weather, on a long drive when it's recording, it suddenly stops recording? Mine has done it a few times already. It simply stops recording as I glance up at the activity LED from time to time. Driving to London yesterday in 27 degree heat and half way up the M25 the camera stopped recording, had to power off then on again via the button until it auto started recording again.

In colder weather it's fine or if the roof is up and climate control on it seems.

This was recording at 720P 30fps so not even a write vs processing power issue.

Will continue to monitor I guess!

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Could well be slick rick!

Touching the cam itself it was very hot under the windscreen with the sun beating down on it so not surprising if that is the case! Not really sure what preventative measure can be taken to avoid this situation though other than sliding it off the base when the car is parked up and thus it not being pre-heated under the windscreen when parked up, but that then would wear down the contacts on the base as that's said to be a common issue!

Soldato
Your car is black too which must make the inside very hot when it is parked in direct sunlight. Bit of a tricky one, is your cam the 803 as I think the issue was meant to be resolved with the 805 version?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have the 805, apparently it's on the latest firmware (v1.0?) going by the dashcam talk links I found, unless there's a more official place to update from? :o

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hmm I have a Sandisk Evo class 10 sd card in there, I seem to recall now that some people said certain class 10 cards may have issues in these dashcams, perhaps this could be where the issue lies then? I don't have a spare one of a slower speed so will probably just buy one off Amazon to trial for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom