Dashcams!

Soldato
Does anyone know if it's legal to have a screen that shows a camera output on the dashboard while driving? Reason being I have a trailer that I can't see out the window when in a straight line and I worry it's not actually there. You can get these camera and screen kits that just plug in.

Soldato
It’s the dash cam owners that you need to watch out for a lot of the time, the concept of driving to avoid incidents is completely lost on them. They’d rather have the incident and claim the moral victory with the dash cam footage after.

Underboss
Does anyone know if it's legal to have a screen that shows a camera output on the dashboard while driving? Reason being I have a trailer that I can't see out the window when in a straight line and I worry it's not actually there. You can get these camera and screen kits that just plug in.

a lot of Aftermarket stereos do come with a DVR camera, so i would say this is ok

If you just want it for that reason, you could install it to one side of your vehicle so its like a rear view mirror ?

I know the new HGVs that we do (from last year) are all now digital, wing mirrors are no longer there , cameras are all around the vehicles

Man of Honour
Watching UK dashcams recently, they aren’t always a bad thing.
Some of the driving that is captured is horrific, not to mention the road rage idiots.

I’ve been doing the same. I see similar on a daily basis. I’ve probably seen worse than most on there.

I think my dash cam will have to go to the left of the rear view mirror in order to correctly position the rear view camera that clips in. Undecided on this currently.

Caporegime
It’s the dash cam owners that you need to watch out for a lot of the time, the concept of driving to avoid incidents is completely lost on them. They’d rather have the incident and claim the moral victory with the dash cam footage after.

Yep, a lot of footage on YouTube shows the dash cam driver either driving badly themselves or for some reason getting involved in the accident purely because 'it wasn't their fault'.

Caporegime
Yep, a lot of footage on YouTube shows the dash cam driver either driving badly themselves or for some reason getting involved in the accident purely because 'it wasn't their fault'.

Most have absolutely zero road awareness, sometimes you can just tell someone isn't going to stop at a mini roundabout when you're indicating right but they'll still make a total meal out of it so they have a nice clip for the Dashcamnoncesuk YT channel.

Soldato
Anyone fitted one of the Thinkware batteries? Looking to do this, as we don't use our car too often, so don't want to leave it sat on the drive videoing for too many days (we use eco mode anyway), but we are always turning it on/off.

Soldato
Ok, that's a good reason!

Did you have to chop wires to fit to the Thinkware?

Just to confirm, the fuse I choose should be off when engine stopped and only on when car running?

Underboss
i got somebody to install the battery pack because my one in the instructions says wire straight to the 12V battery with one wire
the other 2 wires are Earth (Chassis) and switched / ignition live (like windscreen wiper fuse)

i know you can specifically get a thinkware cable for the battery pack, so it goes straight into the battery

Soldato
i got somebody to install the battery pack because my one in the instructions says wire straight to the 12V battery with one wire
the other 2 wires are Earth (Chassis) and switched / ignition live (like windscreen wiper fuse)

i know you can specifically get a thinkware cable for the battery pack, so it goes straight into the battery

Ok, best watch a few YouTube install vids. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom