Dayz, arma 3 build

Associate
This how things sit... I already have a great everyday pc, for use with photo and video editing, mainly its a work machine, that I built a few years back win10

Would love to build/buy a machine that is capaple of playing dayz/arma3 with reasonal settings and framerates and be able to stream, not looking to wild on the spend:)
I have already looked a parts picker so I have an idea of a build, but it more of a case of knowing what other people are running to get good results with these games, that will infulence my build choices
Looking to get this as cheap as possible bearing in mind this will be my second system that is primarily just for gaming, and ideally looking to make it as energy effient as possible too.

Initially I looked at something like this,
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler £138.59
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 OC 3GB GDRR5 £269.99
PSU: Corsair CP-9020131-UK TXM Series 750W £77.99
RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 £59.97
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX £79.00
M.2 Boot: Kingston A400 SSD Internal Solid State Drive £30.99
£655 build current 12/7/2022 costs

But then thought the motherboard was getting old, these addions would be better​

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x £198.19 Amazon
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 OC 6GB GDRR5£ £369.99
MOTHERBOARD: Aorus B550 elite ax v2 £116.98

Alternatively I have looked at cheaper idea of buying a

Dell OptiPlex 9020 Intel Core i7 4th Gen 32GB 240 SSD and a GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6​

Which comes in at less that £500 all in

I would really appreciate your insights and ideas, easpecially from those who play these games on a regular basis

Firstly , the forums rules are against naming of competitors so maybe remove the rainforest name.

Secondly , £369 for a 1060 ? WTF that must be a mistake and just do not buy a 1060 for that amount of money.

Now onto your needs. Dayz/ARMA3 can pretty much be run on a potato of a PC so the parts you mention would be adequate for the task. You then mention streaming and that does add to your needs. Normally an 8 core cpu is better when you are streaming or if you went for a 3000 series Nvidia gpu they have an Nvenc enconder on the gpu that takes the strain off the cpu. 3060ti is a great gpu for streaming with your needs in mind, if you can get a Founders edition directly from Nvidia then it is £370.

AM4 pricing is wildly up and down at the moment with lack of availability for certain cpus being a problem. 5600x is a good chip but look for the 5600 (nonx) and save some money because it is almost identical performance.

Woah, bit behind the times with your spec there.

The 3060 12GB at £300-350 or a RX 6600 8GB for £250 are both faster than a 1080.

You can even get 2060 6GB for just over £200 that is in the same ballpark.

If going AMD the Ryzen 5600 would be my choice since it was only £150 a week or so ago. It might be worth hanging on until Zen 4 releases because it isn't far away now and there might be some good discounts.

For the same £30 I'd recommend an MX500 over the A400, because the A400 is a budget drive with only a 3 year warranty and no dram, not an ideal choice for an OS drive.

This how things sit... I already have a great everyday pc, for use with photo and video editing, mainly its a work machine, that I built a few years back win10

Would love to build/buy a machine that is capaple of playing dayz/arma3 with reasonal settings and framerates and be able to stream, not looking to wild on the spend:)
I have already looked a parts picker so I have an idea of a build, but it more of a case of knowing what other people are running to get good results with these games, that will infulence my build choices
Looking to get this as cheap as possible bearing in mind this will be my second system that is primarily just for gaming, and ideally looking to make it as energy effient as possible too.

Initially I looked at something like this,
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler £138.59 Amazon
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 OC 3GB GDRR5 £269.99 Amazon
PSU: Corsair CP-9020131-UK TXM Series 750W £77.99 Amazon
RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 £59.97 Amazon
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX £79.00 Amazon
M.2 Boot: Kingston A400 SSD Internal Solid State Drive £30.99 Amazon
£655 build current 12/7/2022 costs

But then thought the motherboard was getting old, these addions would be better​

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x £198.19 Amazon
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 OC 6GB GDRR5£ £369.99 Amazon
MOTHERBOARD: Aorus B550 elite ax v2 £116.98 Amazon

Alternatively I have looked at cheaper idea of buying a

Dell OptiPlex 9020 Intel Core i7 4th Gen 32GB 240 SSD and a GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6​

Which comes in at less that £500 all in

I would really appreciate your insights and ideas, easpecially from those who play these games on a regular basis
That’s some absolutely awful pricing for components.

Thank you for you feedback, with this being a second machine just the odd weekend of fun gaming when in downtime from working, I was ideally looking to make it as cheap but as competent as possible. I am a realistic about the expectations for building a cheaper machine thats why I suggested the Dell optiflex build as an alternative, to paying large sums of cash. As for the pricing this is what came of the parts picker.
#Tetras as for the drive would it not be better to go for an m.2 as a boot drive as opposed to an ssd? if I were going this root.

Admittedly it has been a while since I built my last machine and times have moved on, and the choices and configurations are endless when looking to rebuild, Like the idea of the Ryzen 5600x / RX 6800

Casual gaming from a second PC for under £1k

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £859.58 (includes delivery: £11.70)​

With the above build you can change the cpu to 12400f (often out of stock) or 12600k. Both of those are significantly more expensive but would add longevity to the system over the 4 core 12100f, you could have course change the cpu later in that PCs lifespan.

GPU- you mention the RX 6800, is a great card and I have one but it is £300 more than a RX 6600 so you have ask yourself is it worth it for a casual machine. RX 6800 is not a budget gpu by any stretch and is almost top tier.

AM5 and Raptorlake being released soon so if yuo are not in a rush you can wait to see what they are like and do to current prices.

£90 (incl. VAT)
£74 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£200 (incl. VAT)
£180 (incl. VAT)
Thank you for you feedback, with this being a second machine just the odd weekend of fun gaming when in downtime from working, I was ideally looking to make it as cheap but as competent as possible. I am a realistic about the expectations for building a cheaper machine thats why I suggested the Dell optiflex build as an alternative, to paying large sums of cash. As for the pricing this is what came of the parts picker.
#Tetras as for the drive would it not be better to go for an m.2 as a boot drive as opposed to an ssd? if I were going this root.

Admittedly it has been a while since I built my last machine and times have moved on, and the choices and configurations are endless when looking to rebuild, Like the idea of the Ryzen 5600x / RX 6800

The best 'bang for buck' components right now are probably what Haz123 quoted you above, the 12100F and the RX 6600. That should last you a good while. If you wanted to save money, pretty much any board will support a 12100F and H610 boards are available as low as £60. You might want to spend a bit more for future upgrade potential though, so up to you.

There are two main issues with the system you quoted: 1. A 4th gen i7 is way behind the times now, so you really have zero upgrades available and often (though not always) the case, motherboard and PSU are proprietary, so you couldn't upgrade it, even if you wanted to. 2. The 1650 is a very weak card, it was criticised for how weak it was on release and that was 3 years ago. The 6600 for £250 absolutely smashes a 1650 and will last you much longer as a viable gaming machine.

For a boot drive, it doesn't really matter if you buy an M.2 drive or not, but since you don't get many M.2 slots, it is kind of a waste to buy a low capacity drive.

Firstly , the forums rules are against naming of competitors so maybe remove the rainforest name.

Secondly , £369 for a 1060 ? WTF that must be a mistake and just do not buy a 1060 for that amount of money.

Now onto your needs. Dayz/ARMA3 can pretty much be run on a potato of a PC so the parts you mention would be adequate for the task. You then mention streaming and that does add to your needs. Normally an 8 core cpu is better when you are streaming or if you went for a 3000 series Nvidia gpu they have an Nvenc enconder on the gpu that takes the strain off the cpu. 3060ti is a great gpu for streaming with your needs in mind, if you can get a Founders edition directly from Nvidia then it is £370.

AM4 pricing is wildly up and down at the moment with lack of availability for certain cpus being a problem. 5600x is a good chip but look for the 5600 (nonx) and save some money because it is almost identical performance.
Dayz/ARMA3 can pretty much be run on a potato of a PC

With regards to this my current pc certainly falls into this catagory, whilst still working fine as an every office machine and being able to tun legacy games, it is not much good for anything else, its old.....

I should have also said that I am student and working hybrid from home in my gap year, so cash is a little tight as you can imagine especially with the rises costs everywhere else in society, this is the main reasons for wanting to get the best
bang for the buck "££" spending just shy of £860 on a machine that is primarily going to be used for dayz and arma playing is a bit steep. Added to this what are the differences btween going amd and intel as the I3 seems a little feeble, compared to a Ryzen 5600x or is this my misunderstanding. Like everything suggested so far apart from the price lol, as for the gpu could I get away with using a

Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti StormX 4 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card, DiplayPort, HDMI, Dual-Link DVI-D, Grey £177.00 - which I am sure I can find cheaper

I understand if money is a problem and if this is just for fun and downtime then of course use your money for more essential items such as rent and food first. With that out of the way I will discuss value of the parts mentioned and why sometimes it is worth spending a little more.

The 1050ti is approx 6 years old now and the RX 6600 I put in the suggested build is around 4 times faster for just £80 more. I cannot see an argument to buy a 1050ti when the 6600 is such good value and new with a warranty.
You may want to watch this video to understand the performance you get with it, keep in mind that a 1080 is the big big brother of the 1050ti for that generation of gpu.

If you want the best bag for your buck then the 12100f cannot be beat , it is almost half the price of the 5600x and performs nearly as well. There is a better argument for a 5600 (nonx) and B550 mobo if you can get them for a similar price to a 12100f and B660 mobo, that is a very close contest and both would be excellent PCs.
Here is another vid with lot of graphs so you can see what sort of performance is available with each cpu. Of course he is using a 6900xt for the benchmarks so you would not see these numbers but that is just the testing methology for testing a cpus potential.

I will go down to the absolute basics so you can see the price for the lowest spec you can buy now with current hardware and then you can compare it to older and second hand components and products.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £704.64 (includes delivery: £11.70)​

The build I did first had extra money spent on the motherboard and some other components, I personally would not be happy with this second build but it is pretty much as cheap as you can go. Because you can build this system (even though I would not) with current tech, it invalidates the value proposition of almost anything older. These 2 build would require you ro instal windows yourself, I am assuming you can do that.

Because money is tight do not be hasty and understand exactly what you are getting for your money.

£90 (incl. VAT)
£74 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£200 (incl. VAT)
£180 (incl. VAT)
I agree 100% with what Haz123 wrote, I know it is far more than you want to pay and that is fair enough, but buying a 1050 Ti for £177 in 2022 makes no sense at all. Don't be fooled by it being an i3, the 12th i3 is faster in games than 6 core CPUs (like the i5-10400 and Ryzen 5 3600 from only one generation ago and will convincingly beat the Ryzen 5 2600. There will come a point that the Ryzen 5 5600 / 5600X is more capable, but since you're on a tight budget, it is a compromise worth making. Getting a 1050 Ti is definitely not, would be a false economy to save £80 there, like you can have a brand new Ferrari for £250 or an old Fiat Panda for £177.

Not sure when you last looked at PC hardware, but I'd strongly recommend you get up to date from watching popular YouTubers like hardware unboxed and gamersnexus.

You might be better off just getting a console for your second gaming system (even the Series S is pretty capable), though I'm not sure well they stream.

Hi and thank you for the great response I have had here, as suggested I have purchased the i3/memory/psu and the case I already had an antec full atx case, new but not used. With regards to the gpu I was hoping to getaway with the aging evga gtx 1050 ti that someone gave me, but I guess it would struggle with many of the aaa rated titles, even at low settings. As to the mainboard, I looked at it and whilst it does fall under being cheap as chips, it does look a little limited, I guess its a case of you get what you pay for, I have looked at other boards and would welcome your experienced advice, especially looking futher down the road towards win11 eww(not a fan)

Gigabyte Intel B560 DS3H V2 Micro-ATX Motherboard​

MSI Intel B560M PRO Micro-ATX Motherboard​

ASUS PRIME Intel B560M-K PCIe 4.0 mATX Motherboard​

Sorry what cpu have you purchased ? the mobos you have listed are B560 so they will only work with 10/11th gen intel cpus and not 12th gen Alderlake cpus.

If you have a 1050ti already and you got it for free then you can absolutely use it. It will work but it will have limited performance to current gen cards. My advice was do not buy one because it was poor value in comparison to other cards. You cannot beat the value of a free product and it is a component you can update at a later date.

Hi I love the response on this forum and helpful people here, I purchase the suggested Intel Core i3-12100F 3.30GHz (Alder Lake) Socket LGA1700 Processor, it is still boxed and returnable so if the board is an issue I would appreciate an alternative cpu to go with a B560 board and also your opinion as to what is best. As I intend to be upgrading bit by bit.

I played arma3 for years on a 2500k and a 290x, mainly wasteland, when you could park a truck next to a building, then shoot the truck untill it exploded, taking the building out with it,we would level whole areas like that, and ofc spent a good time playing the original PlayerUnknown's Battle Royale mod

Last edited:
Hi I love the response on this forum and helpful people here, I purchase the suggested Intel Core i3-12100F 3.30GHz (Alder Lake) Socket LGA1700 Processor, it is still boxed and returnable so if the board is an issue I would appreciate an alternative cpu to go with a B560 board and also your opinion as to what is best. As I intend to be upgrading bit by bit.

Keep the cpu , its the correct one for your use case but it will not work in a B560 motherboard. Intel 12th gen (12XXX code cpus) work in H610/B660/Z690 motherboards, they may be compatable with the next gen H710/B760/Z790 but that is not confirmed yet because they are not yet released. Do not buy a B560 mobo for a 12100F because it will not be compatable , if you have then return the mobo unopened and get a B660.

Recommendation for B660 mobo

It is massive overkill for your needs and will easily handle a 12100f and even a 12700 if you upgraded at a later date. I do not like recommending lower cost mobos that will obviously be using lesser capacitors and construction methods but you can use a H610 mobo with that cpu, if you did go for a cheaper mobo then no real idea which would be the best option.

One last time , do not buy a B560 mobo for a 12th gen Intel cpu.

if you did go for a cheaper mobo then no real idea which would be the best option.

I quite like the Asus H610M-A because it has 2x M.2 (though one is only half speed), lots of space between the primary PCI-E and the little PCI-E (for wifi card, etc) and a heatsink on half the VRM. It tested reasonably well on THG, too, but not really a board I'd pick for higher than an i5. Most of the Asus H610 boards have been every price between £60 and £100 though, so buyer beware.

Last edited:
I've been taking my time looking ove my options and reading up a little, I am still a little purplexed as to what the main differences are with the MSI Pro B660M-A , B , E are being that they are a little cheaper, will I be loosing much if I opted to go for one of these boards as an alternative, I am now looking at more the first build and working a few extra weekends whilst I study.

If I was buying I would be getting the MSI B660M A mobo and not the E or B or P. From what I can see it looks like only the A varients has actual heatsinks over the VRMs and that is the main reason this mobo performs so well versus the other lower end B660 motherboards.

This thread is very confused now so if you want help from here you will have to clarify what you actually have in hand and have purchased and where your throughts are. It has been over a months since you first asked and in that time gpu prices in particular have been shooting all over the place.

I've been taking my time looking ove my options and reading up a little, I am still a little purplexed as to what the main differences are with the MSI Pro B660M-A , B , E are being that they are a little cheaper, will I be loosing much if I opted to go for one of these boards as an alternative, I am now looking at more the first build and working a few extra weekends whilst I study.

I haven't seen any reviews of the cheaper ones, in buildzoid's roundup he said they should be good for any i3 or non-K i5 (sub 120 watt), while the B660M-A he said it'll probably run an i9, but preferably sub 200 watt load. You can see in the thermal testing that hardware unboxed did, that a 12700 non-K is manageable, but the 12900K ideally needs airflow on the VRMs to run an extended workstation load.

In other words, if you're happy to run e.g. a 12100 or 12400 then I think you'll be fine, but if you plan to upgrade in the future, I'd get a board with better thermals like the B660M-A. I wouldn't want to run an extended workstation load on the cheaper boards either, even if they're running an i5 non-K (though direct airflow would mitigate my concern there).

Back
Top Bottom